Friday, January 22, 2010

Giving Voice to Late Night Frustration

Once upon a time there was a girl (ok, I hear you, but indulge me for a min) who got approx. 2.5 head colds a year and they usually were gone within 4.5 days..... UNTIL THIS SCHOOL YEAR!

Starting about Thanksgiving I have had a head cold pretty much non stop. Yet, this weekend....our loooonnnnngggg MLK weekend. I felt great; did some Wii Yoga, ran around the house A LOT with Sophie (yeah, we run and run in circles until we are both exhausted..NO, it is not pretty.) and enjoyed the life of a "healthy" human for the first time in what seemed like forever. My nose was still a little drippy, but hey, there was nothing else going on....sore throat, runny eyes, cough etc. I was thrilled to be "well" ....but then it started again and as of right now I have totally lost my voice. URGH! Hard to teach classes without a voice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the fact I have hall duty between each class and coughing and sneezing 7th and 8th graders are ALWAYS present....I am checking in books handled by the aforementioned germ infested patrons.....not to mention several coworkers who are fighting all sorts of maladys. Plus, I have always thought the dust in the library, which we fight daily, doesn't help matters at all. (Guess I should mention there is dust in my house I fight all the time, too. Don't look so shocked!)

So what do I do? Well, since Jim retired I have been going to bed earlier and earlier and I eat on a regular schedule. Two things I rarely did before he retired. ( He really is a positive influence.) Not to mention I am always wiping things down with Clorox wipes (especially at school) in an attempt to avoid cold/flu germs. I use my Neti pot daily and when it is dry in the house I run a sonic humidifier at night. I really feel I am doing my part in this fight...not to mention vitamin C and multivitamins etc! Jim has even started making fruit smoothies that include a few leaves of spinach. (Thanks Lora, cuz if I HAD SUGGESTED SUCH he would have just glared at me like I was nuts and never even gotten the blender out of the cupboard!!) Yes, he is playing offensive due to the drips, too.

Have I gone to the doctor?....well, no. Why? Mainly because I see no sign of infection and I have a fever like two times for a few hours and it was very LOW. I have learned that docs are very reluctant to give antibiotic unless these two conditions exist and I have had docs to pat me on the head and tell me to take the same medications I was already using, but I must admit I am leaning toward a doctor's visit so you know I am finally coming to the end of my chain.

(I just reread this post and in light of what is going on in Haiti....and other tragedies, well, in short, I am feeling very thankful head cold and all.)

BACK TO BED! Night, Night :)

3 comments:

kgfrazier said...

I've heard a little Jim Beam can work wonders. I wouldn't know personally of course. I'm just saying . . .

Lora said...

Sorry you are sick again. NOW my remedy, if you remember is a week on the beach! OK-so maybe that is not possible---running also helps to clear all your passages! Don't you LOVE the smoothies? LOTS of orange!

Deb said...

Went to the doc and now have three perscriptions, got a shot, and have my voice back....but still feel pretty bad....don't even feel like bowling on the Wii...so you know this is serious!