Saturday, August 1, 2009

Goodbye, Bailey

Bailey loved the snow and sported a different scarf around his neck each time he returned from
the kennel where he was loved by humans and fellow "fur kids". He liked going there and it was a lot like going to camp for him.

Today my parents had no other recourse than to take their lab/chesapeake bay retriever mix, Bailey, to the vet for his final visit. For those of us who love dogs and know there is more going on in their heads than anyone could ever imagine, this final trip is one of the toughest experiences. Coming home to an empty house afterwards ranks right up there. I can't tell you how long Jim and I expected to see our poodle of 16 years standing at the door to greet us after he was long gone. We get so attached and these critters; they truly become one of the family.


I was allergic to Bailey and it was difficult to coexist with him, so I never felt like I got to know him like I have non shedding dogs I can love on. But I did love that sweet boy. A gentler dog I've not known. He didn't have a cantankerous bone in his whole body. Even when he barked at the mailman his tail was wagging. It was his way saying, "howdy" and the mailman knew it and would pet him and chat with him. Gatsby, our granddog a tiny Yorkie-Poo who is afraid of all dogs, was not afraid to walk around Bailey. He sensed there were no surprises with Bailey and he felt safe. Even the chipmunks were seen to be sitting in his dish eating his food and he didn't seem to mind sharing.

Bailey was afraid of thunder and gun shots (which we hear once in a great while up in the woods.) He would hide when the fireworks were being set off. It was something we never figured out, but he had it since he was very small. Lately though due to loss of hearing, Bailey didn't suffer from this fear any longer....a blessing to go along with all the curses associated with age.

I know my parents are going to miss their faithful friend. He always warned when anyone or anything ventured into "his" yard. In the evenings as they watched the television, he would lay at their feet or put his head in their laps. I think about how they made a little family of three and what a good life he had up there on "Music Mountain". When so many dogs in this world endure all sorts of tough situations,Bai ley lucked out and lived with two people who doted on him and took pains to make sure he had it good....really good. After all, how many dogs do you know who have their own bedroom?!

1 comment:

JoAnn said...

Debbie, Thank you for such a nice message about our Bailey. He surely was a sweet boy. We really seem lost without him. Just seem to see him everywhere. I am sure all that have had to say goodbye to theirs pets know all about it. Love you, Mom and Dad