Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Decorating the Tree....FINALLY!


This is our 25th anniversary crystal ball.....and an angel made by Betty in Illinois.

This church looks almost identical to the Episcopal church I belonged to when I was young. And the tiny quilt was sewn by my daughter-in-law in PA. It is so cute!! I just love it.

Josh made this ornament in kindergarten. I was in the classrooom that day helping those in the class glue....trying to glue with the glue gun without burning my fingers...it was tough!

This was also made by our granddaughters .....with help from our daughter-in-law, Jeannie.

I love this little book...just so sweet and clever.


Every year while carefully placing the ornaments on the tree I remember where we got each one. Some were made for us, some were gifts and some Josh chose at the Hallmark store. Quite a few of them Jim and I bought our first Christmas in Illinois. Many of them are glass commemorative balls. One is Ruston High but my Mom and Dad gave us several of buildings from our home town. One of which is the building where we met, The Canoe Place Inn. There is our old hospital, the library, our grade school, which was torn down and also the old city building which is also gone. I love making their acquaintance again.

Why am I so sentimental about these ornaments? I am not sure, but they are very precious to me. There is a little red sled with a penguin on top. I have a thing about sleds and I just love penguins, so that little Avon ornament is on my top ten list. My parents gave us a beautiful, engraved crystal ornament for our 25th wedding anniversary. It is so pretty.....then there are the ornaments Josh made in grade school.....and Randi has made several beautiful creations. The little felt book my librarian friend, Marsha, sewed and the book worm sitting on a stack of books from another librarian are on my top ten list for sure.
Sometimes I dread decorating the tree.....just looks like a huge task. I try to find the perfect spot for each one of my special ornaments and it takes time and energy, but each time I realize it really is a journey through the years and a chronicle of sorts.
On a darker note...It makes me to sad to think of these ornaments someday being pitched....or sold in a garage sale, but then what in the world do I want people to do with them when I am gone? hahaha.... Hopefully, someone will give them a new home when they have served their time with us.

4 comments:

Lora said...

The ornaments-like us-will become classic antiques someday! Our ornaments also have special meanings for me.

Hannah Lee said...

So pretty! My mother, thankfully, got my sister and I two ornaments a year since we were born. So I have a collection, much like yours, of precious ornaments full of memories! Looks beautiful!

Just say Julie said...

That's so pretty Deb! I have those gold, engraveable ornaments from every year since my birth. Will has a set too, and we started a set for Bob when we got married. Those are so much fun to reminisce about.

adrian seney said...

Love your tree and ornaments! My mom has bought each of us (and now our kids) a special ornament each year. Love the stories behind your ornaments. Merry Christmas!!