Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day Ramblings

I have always known I was part Irish, but knowing my Great Grandfather spoke with a very thick Scottish accent led all of us to believe we were really more Scotch than Irish. Also, my spending habits suggested the same. But when my mother visited the municipal building in Glasgow, Scotland, she found the grandfather she thought was Scotch was actually a refugee from Ireland living in Scotland before bringing his family to the United States. I guess we should have figured that out as they were Roman Catholics. Now, I am not 100% sure I don't have any Scottish heritage, but I am 100% sure Irish blood runs in my veins.....so St. Patrick's day is one holiday I now like to acknowledge. I really never thought that much about it while growing up.

When I was a kid going to school I wore orange to school and not green because as I said above I was operating under the belief I was Scotch and not Irish....soooooo now days I am actually wearing green. Today I wore my shamrock necklace and was proud of my relatively new found Irish heritage .....even if most of my great aunts had Irish cankles instead of ankles. (Yes, I am the lucky recipient of the cankle gene.) I know my grandmother on my mother's side and father's side were both English. I guess that makes me a bonafide, WASP. Hillary Clinton must be a WASP as well, cuz she has her some fierce cankles, too. It is the only trait we have in common....I hope anyway.

So what is my point? I am not sure either.....I am so sleepy I can hardly keep my eyes open. If I think of one I will edit this tomorrow.... or better yet if you find a point to all of this nonsense you can let me in on the secret. GOOD NIGHT

3 comments:

David "Dutch" Boersma said...

Well, you are expecting a little leprechaun!!!

Lora said...

Maybe you & BC can dredge up kin! We Scot-Irish ACTUALLY are a little snobbish about our ancestory ALSO! Momma was always MOST proud of her English-Mayflower ancestry just giving a passing nod to the Scot-Irish. This red tint in my skin HAS to come from that group!

JoAnn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.