Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Non Christmas Sweater


Well, I guess we do look a little different.....amazing what 30 years can do and yet the sweater is still the same! I want to know its secret. Funny thing though.....it used to be a lot bigger... ;-) Jim has on a similar sweater...but his is not the wool one. I think he might actually have this same wool sweater from the first pic, but this larger, cotton one is much softer!



Last night we were planning to go to the patio at Sundown for good friend, BC's, non-birthday. (As usual we had a good time.) It promised to be chilly out there...about 45 degrees, so I thought I would dig out my 100% wool sweater from J.C. Penney.

This sweater is at least 30 years old and maybe a couple more.... I have been saving this sweater, even though it is pretty itchy to wear, first be cause it is warm and second because I like it. I probably have worn it about 25 times in all these years. I wore it several times when it was really cold in Illinois, but because it is sorta itchy, I only wore it when I thought I was gonna be really cold and I should pull out the big guns...the 100% wool.

Anyway, I was so excited to put it to the test...and when we got there the patio was closed for a private party and we found ourselves inside. Because the outside door was opened and closed numerous times it was chilly where were and I ended up feeling toasty ....even though we were a little itchy.

What I am wondering is if it is time to retire the sweater? If I get rid of it then I don't have a really warm wool sweater anymore. We live in a society that tells us that we need all sorts of stuff....BUT that we need a new one....of everything..... every so often. Can a person get one really warm sweater and let it be THE only warm 100% wool sweater they will EVER need? (bar moths or other age related deterioration). Just a thought....plus if we end up living in the Mad Max world some predict...( I sure hope they are wrong!!)...then I will need my super warm itchy sweater for sure! The down side is the amount of space it takes up in a drawer. So I am thinking about this......as I do every year for 30 years when I swap the winter for the summer duds.

Now my feet have been size 6.5 ever since 9th grade or maybe before. Jim might read this and argue that one good, sturdy pair of shoes would also be enough...but that is a whole different post for another time.

3 comments:

Lora said...

Keep it! It looks good and you like it-SO keep it! I do not have anything 100% wool-BUT LOVE MY Smart-wool socks! You LOOK GOOD-DARHLING!

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Keep it! It is cute and still in style!

David "Dutch" Boersma said...

KEEP IT!
wear an underarmour or similar and there is no itch. The sweater looks good. Unlike the hair in the photo, the sweater remains the same color.

Mad Max IS coming.