Wednesday, December 26, 2007

about this thing called blogging....

Well, I believe I will give this blog thing a whirl.....yes, it takes courage and for a bad speller like me this is beyond brave, but here goes. Here is a hint....I tend to write in "stream of conciousness" mode. I just jump from subject to subject like a person changing the channels on their tvs. So hang on and please try not to get too frustrated.

Christmas has come and gone and it happened so fast. Time always moves fast if we want it to go slowly. What is that about?! As usual Christmas was bitter sweet....sweet to be with people we love and care about, but it is sad we can't see all our family and friends who are so far away. In a perfect world everyone we care about would live in the same town within walking distance and it would be effortless to be with those you care about most. It would be like living in Mitford and we would be able to reach out and give a hug to those who mean the most to us whenever we felt like it.

Reflecting on the evolution of Christmas in my own psyche is something I have been doing....thinking back to my first rememberances of Christmas and trying to make sense of it all..... it is very surreal and sometimes scary. Like the first Christmas parade I ever saw....it was so vague with impressions of red sleighs and flashing lights, choirs, elves and of course the big guy himself, Santa!!! It was not joy I felt, but fear....afraid of what was coming around the corner next.....sometimes there were big scary paper mache elves (that creeped me out) or men dressed up as scrooge and it was just a lot to take in at the age of three or four.
I think The Christmas Story.....you know, "You'll shoot your eye out kid!"..... is pretty close to my first recollections. It was a much simpler time....and there was always a lot snow and sled riding.

Sled riding was the best part about winter and I spent many days and many cold evenings.....flying down a huge foot hill at the foot of "Old Baldy" only to trudge back to the top and do it all over again. It was such a huge rush .....with my trusty dog, Toby sitting on the back of my sled. I don't know who loved it more. I remember a couple magical nights when the moon was full and we were out there almost til midnight. Those were the days. We would sleep in, eat and go back. Mom, thanks for holding down the fort and doing all those mom things which enabled us to spend our Christmas vacation in pursuit of fun, fun, fun! No wonder I was skinny. Maybe if there were hills and snow in Louisiana I would be skinny? Hmmmmm.... maybe not.

No comments: