Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Coffee - 1930's style....or somewhere around there.
















For a while I have wanted to make my coffee taste better......I kept seeing this sorta oily film on my coffee and even with cleaning out the coffee maker with vinegar, it still didn't taste "up to snuff". I was talking to a friend about how she made her coffee one cup at at time with a dripolator. It was a little metal pot with perferorated holes on the bottom. She held this cup sized pot over her coffee mug and poured boiling water through it and she said it was the best coffee ever! Hmm...she had my attention. She didn't call it a "dripolator", but I knew there had to be a name for this process....so I went to my trusty computer and looked on ebay. After trying variations on the word "drip" and "perc" .....I found them. Pictures of dripolators! I guess this is how folks made coffee before there were "percolators"....which is what I had in my dorm room or Mr. Coffee style drip coffee makers.

The water goes through faster on a dripolator and the attraction for me was the water never touches any plastic (or aluminum)....which I was afraid was (over time) leaching into the hot water which then became my coffee. I have been trying to avoid plastics for sometime when it dawned on me my coffee water had been sitting in plastic in our Mr. Coffee.

Okay, I have no proof there were tiny plastic molecules in my coffee, but hey.....if you can avoid even the thought of this plus get great tasting coffee .....why not!?

After surfing around on Ebay and finding dripolators as high as a $120....yikes, I found this one for $30. I thought it was cute and a deal to boot! I clicked on "buy it now" and bam in about three days it was here!!! Amazing....gotta love Ebay.

Here are the pics of how I make my coffee. Many of you will cringe because I probably don't make my coffee as strong as you would, but there are days when I ramp it up a bit and dump in another scoop. Generally I use two scoops (a scoop is 1/8 of a cup) or 1/4 cup of coffee.

I have been very happy with the taste of my dripolator coffee. I just warm it up in the microwave all through the day and it tastes freshly perked each cup! Sometimes I turn the burner on low and just let the pot sit on there....but if I want it to be fresh tasting I just use the microwave.

Take note of our new Bichon mug, compliments of Jim's sis, Darlene and her husband, Jim. (There can never be too many Jims in one family!) My Jim and I take turns with it....well, sorta. I seem to use it a bit more than he does, but then when I am in school he can use it every day if he wants.

1 comment:

Frazier's Family said...

Aww...this little pot is cute! As is the mug. I miss coffee...real coffee. I look forward to trying some from your new old dripolator soon! :)