Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Color of Hope

I went to Monroe yesterday with no real destination in mind.....so fun. Having the freedom to just land where ever the wind blows is my idea of a good time. For some of my readers it is the recipe for disaster as they are very goal oriented. But there are people like me who do live in their heads for the most part and they do their best thinking while digging through sale bins.

I accidentally got off on the wrong turn in W. Monroe...was heading for Cracker Barrel to see what they had on sale and ended up going towards the shopping plaza off Thomas Rd........so what the heck. After a quit scan through Big Lots where I bought a book on hormones, (what every woman my age is confused about) I made my way to Hobby Lobby and they had a good number of items on sale.

That is where I found this cross....which I just loved! I have had a little snow sled on the wall of my carport ever since the after Christmas sales and I have been needing to take it down and save it for next Christmas. What to put in that spot? There needs to be something there. I think the former owners had a metal coke sign of some sort much like those signs found in the dining area of Cracker Barrel. I wanted something cute like that which had a catchy saying of some sort, but when I saw this 50% off cross I knew that was perfect. The only thing was it had these little squiggles that seemed so plain......sooooooo I found a little bag of acrylic gems which I eyeballed to be the exact size I needed. (Jim asked how did I know they were the perfect size and I said, "I just knew."....hahaha I guess he was amazed at that.)

After I returned home, via Pecanland Mall, Ross Dress for Less, and Petco it didn't take long to glue my "gems" on the cross and hang it in it's new home and I think it is perfect for that spot. I really do attribute the fact I thought it looked "naked" to DIL, Randi. I have come to appreciate the use of color since she had entered our family. I probably wouldn't have done this BR (before Randi) and that cross would have gone through it's whole existence stark and colorless and that would have been sad.

Now don't get all theological and worry I have thought more about the pretty "gems" and not reflected on the meaning of the cross. The message of THE Cross is one I will never escape, nor want to as it is the only hope of eternity I have. I know relying on anything but the act of redemption performed on the cross is foolishness and without the cross (which is actually ugly symbol of torture and death) I am lost. It is the act of love which Jesus bestowed on us, God's children that has turned this instrument of pain into a symbol of hope....and that is what I see when I look at it....HOPE....and hope looks like a rainbow, hence the pretty rainbow of colored gems. :-)




6 comments:

randi said...

This does look great! I can't imagine it without all the gems! Nicely done! :) Who knows what you'll be splashing with color next?

JoAnn said...

I like it Debbie, looks good with the gems. Hope it won't be to long before we get there to actually see it. Of course it will have to 2nd place to our first great-grandson. Mom

JoAnn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I love it Deb but I like more the way you express your heart. It brings tears to my eyes. You just have a way with words Hb

WonderousWomanRetreat said...

Dear Deb,

Consider to join us for A Wonderous Woman Retreat
on August 13,14,and 15

The Wonderous Woman retreat program leads and encourages every woman to connect to all facets of her purpose and value. Our approach is to create experiential retreats in beautiful venues where you can connect to your mind, body and spirit.

It's easy to take care of everyone else in our lives, but we tend to forget about ourselves.

Anonymous said...

Deb continue expressing yourself to those you come in contact with everyday. That is the place we get the most impact in this life. I think that is what is wrong with this world - get in touch with yourself and Time for you.( We are so neglecting ourselves) Not what God teaches in the scripture. Deb stay in touch with God and that you can get with scripture and prayer.