Saturday, May 17, 2008

A 68 Degree Saturday

68 degrees out there as I sit with my laptop and Sophie begging to sit in its place. She never wants to sit on my lap unless the laptop is there. Just like a little kid. She makes a little wimper and sighs heavily when I will not give in. I keep thinking she is lonely and needs a buddie...maybe another white fuzzy pup, but then I read the Bichon list serve and the dog owners complain about how their two dogs always want the same toy at the same time and no matter if they have the exact same toy they still want the same one. This all sounds way too much like little kids. What is the deal with that....when I say little kids I am going all the way to age 14 cuz I have witnessed this first hand with older kids, too. Sophie seems to have plugged in to "human nature" somehow.....the fallen nature extends even to furry friends....hmmmm fallen furry friends.

Back to the 68 degrees. Just too perfect. I woke up and made coffee....both the caffinated and non then finished my book, I am Scout. It was a good biography, but I read on the net there is really nothing new in this book and Mockingbird, another biography about Harper Lee was very similar...so if you have read that you can skip I am Scout.

Harper Lee never wrote another book, fiction or nonfiction. She just never figured she could top her Pulitzer Prize winning To Kill a Mockingbird...and she was probably right. Thirty years later she told someone she forgave herself for never writing again and it was obvious because she lives a serene and solitary life in her small one story brick house she shares with her sister. Her room is lined with book shelves and she spends a great deal of her time reading. I guess her success was enough to support her for her whole life. She is 82 now. I admire her for keeping to a simple life and not letting fame go to her head at all. Her book was voted best book of the 20th century....that is wild! I may have to read it again. I don't think you always appreciate things when you are young and I read it many years ago.

Jim is outside mowing...68 degrees is too hard to pass up so the Lawn Ranger is on the move. We are gonna try and see the new movie, Prince Caspian today....but other than that it is going to be a quiet weekend. I am trying to figure out what book to read next....

2 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

I need to read it again, too. I don't think I was as into it in 9th grade as I'd be now.

Lora said...

68 degrees and sunny while running makes for a hot run. I see next week is turning into summer. OH WELL, we do live in LA.