Saturday, May 24, 2008

Music, sweet music...

Pic caption - Jim "jammin'"with some guys in Coudersport, PA last summer. Jim is a bit rusty, but I think if he did this sort of thing more often he would really get his groove back. The guy playing guitar behind Jim is high school buddy, Joel Anderson....the drummer is my high school friend, Lynn March Farber's son, Brian. Brian is a grad of Berklee School of Music in Boston. He is really a good drummer....and Howard Foster...with his Saxaphone on the far right. He and Jim go way back, also. His kids and I were friends in high school. The guy on the stool is the owner of this hotel. I can't remember his name right now...but I think he moved to PA from California. Found it a great place to retire and loves the beauty that surrounds those who live in the PA mountains.







Pic caption -Clay Johnson, singer for the Equinox Jazz Band sang so many of our favorites.... we loved hearing him sing, "I Wish You Love", "On the Street Where You Live", "Moon Dance", "How Sweet it is to be Loved By You", and "I Wanna Be Around". ...and of course Jeremy, Hoppy and the guys were right on it when it came to accompaniment


Jeremy Davis, Nick Wlodarczyk, and Brad Black playing "Jazz Straight, No Chaser" at the Dixie Theater in Ruston, LA Friday, May 23, 2008.


Jim and I went to see the Equinox Jazz Band at the Dixie Theater on Friday night. It was really a fun time. Since band leader, Jeremy Davis has moved to Savannah, GA and doesn't get back often, so it was really a treat. There were a lot of familar faces at the Dixie and it was great to talk to friends during the break. I always love to chat with Jonathan Lynch. He is a great drummer, guitarist and bass player who has had the honor of playing with Equinox a couple times. He told us that Hoppy, the arranger for Equinox used to arrange for Disney and did a lot of movies. I checked this out on the Internet just to see which movies he worked on and found several. Jim loves his arrangements.


We are so so blessed to live in an area that offers such a variety of entertainment...and such a great quality. We have heard all sorts of music at LA Tech and seen dance companies such as Alvin Ailey. I loved Bow Fire and Tommy Emmanuel. We have seen plays and musicals at Tech. Christ Community Church has a great "Desert Fest " each year. And I try not to miss the skits done at orientation at Tech. The Peach Festival gives us more opportunity to hear some great musicians at Railroad Park. Plus we always enjoy Johnny O'Neil on occasion and other local favorites.


We didn't grow up in a town with these sorts of entertainment....although to the credit of our little home town in PA, there is still music on the square one night a week in the summer months weather permitting (which Jim would undoubtedly contribute if we lived there) and there are great high school musicals and coral programs. I remember my sister staring in Our Town and Portrait of Jenny when she was in high school. I don't think such classics are still done, but musicals are done once a year. My parents rave on about how wonderful they are....so we were not totally without the influence of talent in the hills of PA.

Well, I had better hit the hay as tomorrow we are going to get up early and head for Longview for a little visit. Sophie will be tagging along and it will be her longest time in the car to date. She brace herself and get ready for the 23 hour trip to PA. Gatsby did it last summer....that gives me encouragement. We always see a lot of people with their fuzzy friends so we won't be alone. We will stay in LaGrange, KY and eat where we always eat....Irish Rover II. It is authentic Irish grub and I always sample the potato soup....Yummmmm I can't wait!!!!


No comments: