Thursday, May 8, 2008

Dance Fever


When Josh was four I decided he was going to be a famous tap dancer.....I loved watching Gregory Hines and Gene Kelly dance....so heck, I had this little boy who was pretty good at doing Michael Jackson's Thriller dance and I thought if I just start him early he will be able to dance his way to Broadway by the time he is 16......after all sister, Elizabeth was a fantastic dancer and I figured it must be in the genes. Jim had taken ball room dancing when he was about 10 years old and he learned to waltz, fox trot, and basic box step. (I don't think he learned the samba or anything that is too hippy dippy.) Mom and I always fight over Jim when the band plays a jitter bug. He wouldn't admit it, but he really is a natural. If he was a star I would sign him up on Dancing with the Stars.

But alas....Josh's heart was never in dance class and although he loved he got to jump on the trampoline after the dance lesson was over, he just never really cared whether he went or not. I rationalized it this way... if he doesn't turn into a dancer it will help him with coordination. After all I was reading about Roosevelt Greer taking dance to help him with football. Josh was good at remembering the routine and I remember two little girls watching every move he made and doing whatever he did. We thought it was and indication of talent....a future choreographer maybe? hahaha...


Josh has been successful blocking this trauma from his mind and I guess he might need therapy some day and bring all these repressed memories forward and purge them...or maybe he should just consider this a blessing and leave it alone. It also may explain the fact that he doesn't dance at all. It makes me sad he never gets to "cut loose" or "cut a rug". I used to love to dance until I was truly pooped out and it was a lot of fun. Although the way we danced was a bit different than the way kids danced at his school dances and I think the gyrations he observed just didn't look like anything he cared to tackle. I think he would "slow" dance now and again, but for the most part he has been avoiding dancing ever since.....But maybe it all goes back to dance class.

Speaking of the Thriller dance....do you know it? Look it up on YouTube. I don't know why I like to watch it so much....there is one video that shows all the guys in a Korean prison doing it. Nuts! There is the Penn State Band doing it and just a bunch of different people attempting this. In that movie 13 going on 30 Jennifer Garner does the dance and it is just fun to watch.

2 comments:

Lora said...

You probably have traumatized Josh for life and he will be telling his kids one day how his Mom MADE him take dancing lessons as a child & how lucky they are that he is not that MEAN!

the Jennings secede from the South said...

That picture is AMAZING! Seriously, wow. I like 13 going on 30, too. It's cute- especially the Thriller dance!