Thursday, May 1, 2008

Happy May Day memories....

Happy May Day....when I was in third grade I made May baskets and hung them on people's doors. "Whose doors?" you ask. Well, I don't remember all the baskets I hung or who all got chosen...by the way these baskets were made from construction paper cones with handles glued on to hang on my bicycle handle bars......I would put flowers that I picked....mostly daffodils and candy in these make-shift baskets and hang them on door knobs and ring the door bell and then run hop on my bike and tear out. Hahaha...didn't want the lucky recipients to know who left the daffodil in the paper cone. haha....it was fun to do this and I don't think I ever told. It was fun to have a secret. I remember taking one to my teacher and I had to ride farther away then I was used to and I feared being chased by dogs and I was even a bit afraid of not finding my way back. Looking back on this it cracks me up. Port Allegany isn't big enough to get lost! I rode to my best friend's house and left one and to friends of the family...I really felt like I was on a secret mission!

I was also thinking today of the time the first grade picked a mother to come and sit in the middle of the cafeteria...which also served as our gym after the tables were all moved aside.... Mom was sitting next to the May pole and we all danced around her holding ribbons tied to the May pole. Mom still shudders to think of that embarrassing experience. She just didn't understand why she was the only mother there and why we were dancing around her singing some May day tune...hahhaha I probably volunteered her for May Queen when nobody else wanted to freak their Mom out. Who knows, but I was thrilled to have my mother there. I wish I had a picture of my Mommie the May Queen....1961.

After a person leaves grade school May Day just isn't any big deal.....so let's all change this. Next year we will have a May day event...baskets with flowers and candy for all! We will sing a little song, do a little dance.....you've got the picture.

No comments: