Saturday, August 16, 2008

All decked out....


The ledger is installed. I am glad we will be soon covering this concrete with wood. I think it will be so much friendlier or something. I am wondering what Sophie the fluff is thinking about all of this. She is very, very interested and doesn't miss a thing.

This configuration is not set into stone yet....but at least I realize this is going to really happen! I have been waiting for 2o years for this! Jim just never had time to do it and we rarely hire anything done.....sooooo that is why it is 20 years.


Jim shows me the height of the lower deck. I guess we will need a couple steps down right there. The lower deck will go all the way down to the tulip tree. I think the hot tub would be nice down there. I wonder what all our squirrel friends are thinking....they too are very, very interested as this is their domain, too.




Jim has started our deck....and it will be on the front of the house....almost like a front porch. Here are a few of the pictures. He really hasn't started the deck exactly. Planning is the most important part of the whole process and he is laying it out to make sure of the dimensions and he has put in the ledger under the sliding glass doors. He had to drill into the slab for this and that made me very nervous, but it appears to be fine and he didn't have to drill in too far.



We are still talking about the size of the deck. We will have an upper rather square deck and a rectangular lower deck that will be longer than it is wide....make the whole configuration like an "L" shape. I think a nice hot tub would fit nicely into this plan, but Jim is not a plumber and he is not crazy about the whole idea of doing a hot tub. That would mean more permits and he hates all that sort of stuff. Josh said all I want is a human bird bath.....something to dip into if I am sunning myself....so I really don't need a hot tub, bust a blow up swimming pool so I can cool off while I get a tan and read my books. But then I think of the sciatica that has been driving me crazy all this week. ( I have never had this before and it really does hurt!!) I am thinking the hot tub might be just the ticket!!!! What do you think?

7 comments:

Lora said...

Go to friend Helen's and use their spa. A hot tub is ANOTHER THING to take care of. You could look on Craig's list-I'll bet you could find one that someone has discovered just what I said and wants to sell cheap! I would definitely vote no though. YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE SUNNING ANYWAY!

Deb said...

Lora, have you been talking to Jim?! Hahaaa...yes, you are, as usual, probably right. A human bird bath is the better option.

Dogs 'n Lions said...

Wow...looks great. Yeah, I think that will be a great size. It is bigger than I imagined, but not too big to be a pain to take care of.

JoAnn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JoAnn said...

Hey, Tell Jim we think the hot tub sounds great. Ask him when we come out and we use it will you both help us out of it???? Sounds like the deck will really be nice. Can't wait to see it the next time we come out

David "Dutch" Boersma said...

Just because school started is no excuse for your posting tardiness.

Just say Julie said...

I vote for the hot tub. I love the hot tub, especially after a day of teaching middle schoolers.