Friday, August 1, 2008

Remembering....


Today is my own Father's birthday. He was killed in a car accident on January 7, 1967. That means he has been gone for 41 years. He was 39 so he has been dead two years longer than he was ever alive.....and I have lived 14 years more ...so far.... than he did.

Why am I thinking these things? I really don't know, but I usually do remember his birthday and I do think about how long he has been gone and how old I was and am....and then I think back and see what I can remember, because memory fades.

I can still remember the way he walked and the way he looked when he was thinking and I remember how quickly he could get angry. I also remember his smell.....there was always a faint smell of Old Spice. I remember that he read a lot and I remember cried when President Kennedy died. I remember the time he took me on my tricycle to see the new high school.....the high school I years later attended. It was a long, long way to go on a tricycle. I thought it was so cool. I also remember how much our dog loved him. Toby, our beagle/spaniel mix..... liked the whole family, but was intensely loyal to my dad.


My sisters were younger and I don't think they remember too much at all. I guess I sorta feel it is up to me be the "rememberer"......and also to be the one to mention that today Charles E. Wells would have been 81.

4 comments:

JoAnn said...

DEBBIE, VERY NICE OF YOU TO WRITE THIS ABOUT YOUR FATHER. I WAS ALSO THINKING ABOUT THE FACT THAT HE WOULD HAVE BEEN 81 TODAY.

Lora said...

WE never forget our Daddy!

Anonymous said...

Deb I love your thoughts about life and the people in your life. you give a sense of history in remembering those who have lived before - I think abour the lady who wrote Out Of Africa. the words she spoke when she left her african home and the people she loved there. she pondered if she would be remembered, if a shadow cast across the road would remind them of her. I think we all ponder things of that sort and future generations if we will pass on a remeberance.( is that a word)Thanks for the walk in the past. Helen

Julie J said...

You are right I don't remember as much. Thanks for being the "rememberer".