Thursday, August 21, 2008

Happy 16th!!!!!! Birthday, Aaron!

Aaron is multitalented....he is good with a video camera filming football games or even a wedding here and there....and he is a great golfer......and now he is 16!!
I just wanted to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to one of my favorite "kids". I have known Aaron almost since the day he was born....even met him when he was just hours old in the hospital. What a cutie. He has always favored his Uncle Mark, but looks a lot like his Dad....but in truth he looks like his Dutch grandfather, Doctor Dale. I won't bore you with all the good things about Aaron, for you see he is quite a grand child...(right, Doctor and Granny) and I don't want to give him the "big head".

I keep thinking there is not a much bigger milestone in a youngin's life than turning 16! (Right, Aaron?!) Being able to drive...drive ALONE! It is soooo exciting....the lure of freedom....just being able to move freely from place to place without having to be driven by someone else is amazing and I will never ever forget the way I felt when I was 16 and getting my driver's license. I have rarely met a 16 year old who feels any differently. I assume Aaron is beside himself with excitement. (I know our son, Josh, couldn't wait....and it was a relief to a Mom who was tired of playing the role of chauffeur.) But even with all the excitement and joy, there is always a little nervousness.....especially for those of us who are fond of these fledgling drivers.

Driving is serious business, and yes, it is scary watching a teenager you care about drive out of the driveway and down the street to parts unknown, but it is a rite of passage for sure and all part of growing up. I am going to be praying for you Aaron...to be careful....and the drivers you meet on the highways and bi ways to be careful, too. (I really will be praying.)

So...Aaron, my friend, Happy Birthday and remember while you are enjoying the ability to drive yourself here and there.....PLEASE drive defensively cuz there are a lot of goofy people out there and not all of them hide out in libraries....and some are hard of seeing.
Oh yeah....I owe you a fruit smoothie. You can drive.....I have a helmet.

3 comments:

Lora said...

You are right-a sweet grandchild! HEY AARON-call me when you will be out driving-------I will try and get out of the way!

Rachel said...

I do have to admit...I was pretty nervous as he drove off to school with my other precious cargo in the car with him. Lots of prayers is all I can say!

JoAnn said...

It is a scary time for sure. Your sister Julie probably feels the same now that Ross has his learners permit. He is a good boy, he will do well I am sure.