Saturday, September 6, 2008

We Have Steppage.....



It is so much healthier to walk down steps rather than jumping down and feel your knees buckle...Sophie loves the steps cuz now she can go to the lower deck without Mom having to carry her....cuz like all toddlers she is very independent.

This was pre Gustav and in the back ground I put a red arrow on a tree that fell....it was a little tree, but now it is like a big empty hole is there! I can see the neighbor's house really well now. We need to know of a good fast growing tree...that is not messy or causes trouble...with good roots. I know mimosas grow fast, but I am not crazy abou them...they are sorta messy to me.Jim Frazier and Jim A. were talking about doing the steps. Jim F. gave Jim A. some good pointers. It was clouding up and the rain started just after they left....that night we lost power.


This is post Gustav....Jim worked all day Friday on steps...and I would call it successful! You are probably wondering why we didn't put the eight foot steps to the left corner...your left.....instead of the right corner of the top deck. Well, I know there was going to be a side with a railing and I didn't want to see railing when I was sitting on the sofa looking out at the lower deck. I really don't want there to be railing at all....deck looks so nice floating out there. It would have been better to have the steps on the other corner....sorry. I sorta wanted the steps to go all the way across, but then we would have had to return the wood and get longer boards and I got the impression Jim thought 8 foot width for the steps was plenty wide enough. I think he did a great job....especially since he never did steps before. This whole deck building thing has been a learning experience for sure.

3 comments:

JoAnn said...

Really looks good. Great job Jim. Guess you didn't need my help after all. Jogie

Lora said...

LOOKS GREAT! I have a garden sprayer that I put my water proofing on with if you need it-when the time comes. I AM REALLY IMPRESSED!

Just say Julie said...

Deck looks great! We are trying to find something for our backyard, but I don't think we're as handy as Jim.