Sunday, September 28, 2008

You Are Here


I have a theory... no longer do Americans live in a world that really touches the senses. We can't feel the blogosphere, we can't smell the blogosphere, nor can we taste it. ("Blogosphere" can mean anything we do when we are on the net.) We see... and sometimes we hear when we are on our laptops, but the rest of our senses are just not being stimulated. Just think...before TV, people experienced even more of their senses. They were engaged in the real world....a world that is not sanitized....a world which was REAL.

I marvel at the road humans have traveled since just before TV until this moment. The fruits of electricity have changed us so much...and a lot for the good, but I can't help but look back and wonder what we are losing. The global village can be a bit cold, yet it enables us to be close to people we rarely "see" in person. Good/Bad...the digital age brings both our way. I feel fortuate to have been raised in a time when we spent our time outside until forced to come in the house. We spent our summers smelly as dogs playing...playing hard...not checking out our friends on Facebook....and I think we were the better for it.

I have had a great weekend as I have been away from the "boob tube" and have had wonderful and stimulating conversation with people who are special to me. Spending time outside chatting with people who drop by for a visit is great! This deck/porch Jim built for me might get me in touch with the human race again...at least people over the age of 13!

1 comment:

Lora said...

You are right about the WWW. I am grateful for the ability to know a little of what is going on WAY UP NORTH, but I spend WAY TOO MUCH time with this laptop in my lap.