Sunday, November 9, 2008

1995 Again instead of 1973

Josh and Papa and Joe Pa


Joe Pa








The favorite college football team around our house has always been Penn State. Son, Josh, has especially been a fan due to the influence of his beloved Papa, a proud alumnus of aforementioned University. They have suffered through a lot of tough seasons, but this season promised to be special. We all had hopes of an undefeated year this year and a possible shot at the National Championship, but what a difference a day makes.

I also consider myself a fan..well, as much as I can be a "fanatic" for a sport. I became interested in Penn State football when they were undefeated my senior year of high school. I was enamoured with John Cappeletti, of 1973 Heisman renown, and also held them in high esteem because it was the only team I heard about nonstop while growing up. (I was brain washed to a degree.) I thought Joe Paterno was a future applicant for sainthood because my Dad always talked so highly of him....even when he was having a bad year. I knew he wasn't like the other coaches because academics were more important to him than having a winning season. I don't know any other coaches who have that claim to fame. He turned down several excellent players due to low GPAs and I just think that is unique in any age. Plus Joe is the king of the snappy come backs. I always get a kick out of his common sense and sometimes glib and obvious answers to constant grilling from sports announcers. 81 year old Joe still has "it" and is quite a guy at any age. A few years ago they started calling him, "Joe Pa". I don't know where it came from exactly, but I don't know if I will ever think of him as anything but just Joe.

As I was saying before I became some what historical....this season has been a great one and until last night I sorta thought this would be a replay of 1973. Yesterday, Penn State lost to Iowa (of all teams!!!), by ONE point in the last few seconds of the game. Josh was here with us to watch the game and it was a real heart breaker. They had been #3 in the national rankings; I have no idea what they are now.....but losing to Iowa is going to knock them down good. Alabama beat LSU and that doesn't help Penn State either. I was really rooting for LSU yesterday.

What I hate even more than Penn State losing (I hate to see Joe Pa's team lose....) is that my Dad and my Son are now very, very, very sad. It is crazy a football team can effect them like this, but it is so great they have this common bond and during football season they talk several times a weekend discussing all the ref calls and different teams and their possible rankings. I know they enjoy all the speculation and commentary just as much as the actual watching of the games.

Both have turned his hopes towards the Rose Bowl, which the Lions won in January 1995. (I remember it well as Papa and Nama were here in Louisiana for that one.) We had a banner and both Josh and Papa had on their new Rose Bowl sweat shirts. It was a memorable evening! So instead of returning to the high of 1973 we will settle for another great evening the likes of Jan. 2, 1995....and we will remain loyal fans....mostly fans of Joe....(oops I mean "Joe Pa") no matter what.

4 comments:

JoAnn said...

Debbie, I couldn't be more appreciative of you blog dedicated to Joe Pa. Incidentally that is short for Joe Paterno. Your observations about the shared enthusiasm of Josh and myself brought some mist into my eyes(and Nama's too). I will always remember the game that Josh and I shared in person a year ago at Happy Valley. It was the most memorable Beaver Stadium experience of my life--and i have countless such occasions in my memory! Dad aka Papa

David "Dutch" Boersma said...

I heard Joe Pa was responsible to bringing football to all those yankees. he probably saw an S.E.C. game and was inspired.

Deb said...

Big 10 was the FIRST Diviion 1 Conference. Look that up on SNOPES!

Just say Julie said...

The worst days at my house are during baseball season. My husband takes each loss by the Astros personally. It cost us two remote controls in 2005 when they made the world series.