Saturday, November 15, 2008

Let me stand...I mean sit.... next to your fire...

Ok...this song might be a bit over the top....but it sorta fits....hahaha...sorry.



While I was in school on Friday, Jim was busy getting ready for a cookout we had for our small group on Friday night. We were sorry several of our group were missing and we especially felt the void left by Dr. Dale's absence. He was just down the street with daughter in law Rachel who took marvelous care of him in Helen's absence. We were so glad she was able to make it. Thanks Rachel for your kind gesture!!

Jim really out did himself cooking. My favorite of the taste treats were the spinach/artichoke cups and also Carmel turtle bars....YUM! I never knew my Jim was so talented. He cooked all the food we ate on the deck he designed and built and then later he played a couple of requests on the piano. I think I always knew he was very talented, but he has surpassed any of my expectations. He gets his gift of hospitality from his Mom. She loved to have people over to eat, too. Thanks Jim for a memorable evening.

What is it about humans that love to sit around a fire? Yes, we put a small fire pit on the deck....on top of some ceramic tiles. Jim was a bit nervous about this idea of mine, but I want to feel at home out there and as Frank Loyd Wright stated without a hearth there is no home. We were going to make somores, but we were too well fed and just couldn't do it. The makings will keep for another time.

We always enjoy getting together .....there is always a lot of laughing. Last night Bobbie taught us all how to speak like a reeaaall southerner.....suthonah, I mean. We learned to go on and on about mundane topics and add syllables to all our words. It was great! Helen quoted much of Gone with the Wind verbatim.....amazing. I think she has seen that movie nearly as many times as Jim. (It is his favorite movie....and I think it is right up there on Helen's list.)

Sophie the Bichon and Sadie the King Charles Spaniel got along just great.
Notice Jim in the background doing the cooking........This is him on his new charcoal grill. Our old grill finally rusted through so we really didn't have a choice. We picked out one that is a bit fancier....you can raise and lower the charcoal, rather than the actual grill grate. We thought that was cool. It also has another level to put my burgers on, as I like mine a bit more rare than most folks. He seemed to enjoy cooking on his new grill....sorry I didn't get a better shot. Next time, okay?










I have always liked poking at a fire.....Bobby was the official fire poker....sorry I didn't get a shot of that as he kept the fire just perfect.



Here is a shot looking up to the house. I think this deck is my favorite room "in" the house.



After everyone left I sat by the fire reflecting on those people the Lord places in our lives and I felt very thankful that He has chosen to bless me so.

3 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

I love that picture of Dad standing up eating. I have seen that exact pose many times. The man loves to stand and eat!

Lora said...

What a special time with the host & hostess with the mostest! Thanks for having us over!

Anonymous said...

Your home is warm and you and Jim are so gracious. Our time there will be cherished. Bless you both for your friendship.

BC