Tuesday, November 25, 2008

So What is all the Hub Bub About?!


Okay, promise not to laugh.....I went to see Twilight the movie based on the book of the same title. Stephanie Meyer wrote it and the book is amazingly close to the book as compared with other movies based on books. I was one of the oldest people in the theater. I did see one little lady who looked to be about 75 or over. Mostly there were rows of tweens and teens and were enjoying it a lot more than I was.


I quickly tired of the many glances cast longingly between Bella and Edward....the love sick young couple of Forks, a small rainy town in Oregon. Granted this genre is older than Edward, the one hundred plus year old vampire/ Romeo, but the dialog just didn't have the kick William Shakespeare's did....but then whose does?

I didn't hate the movie. It just lasted too long. At first I was thinking it was Saved by the Bell meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but the two lead characters portrayed the characters accurately even if the Edward and Bella of my imagination looked differently than I imagined. Stephanie Meyer must be thrilled they were true to her vision. I thought they did a great job with a fairly weak script.

Now the thought of a vampire boy with a human girlfriend is an interesting idea, but it creeps me out just the same and I just could never get passed that. I wanted Bella to choose life, real life and not death....to forget "living" forever even if it meant being with her true love. I wanted her to run for her life from Edward and to live a normal life like the other teens of Forks....to fight off her emotions and enjoy being in the world of the living. Wanting to become one of the immortal dead just made me sad. I kept wondering about her immortal soul and figured if she were to become a vampire eventually she would be damned to hell.....even if for now Edward was every young girl's beautiful, loving, and mature dream. (but you expect a guy over one hundred to be some what mature.) He loved Bella so much he wanted her to choose life. Like me he didn't want her to become a monster...what he thought of himself. But Bella like most teenage girls was not thinking too far ahead and was acting on her emotions. The movie ended with Edward and a very human Bella dancing at their senior prom ....she remained human due only to Edward's ability to restrain himself. Will his restraint last? Will Bella become one of the undead dead? Stay tuned. There will be more to come I am sure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

too much info about this movie