Saturday, July 12, 2008

Mourning Tony Snow




Today is a sad day. Like so many other Americans I am mourning the death of Tony Snow. I have known about Tony Snow since about 1991 or 1992 when I heard him sub for Rush Limbaugh on his radio program. We were glad when he went to work for Fox News and we could not only listen to Tony but watch as he interviewed people from both sides of the isle. We liked Tony because he didn't "cave" and he asked the tough questions and exposed those who were trying to "snow" him and the public.

So who exactly was Tony Snow? Maybe you are not a news watcher and are wondering why I might feel so sad about his passing. Tony was a patriot. A great family man...great husband and father. His optimistic personality was infectious. Tony always saw the glass half full and even when he disagreed with people he didn't attack them or take away their dignity. He didn't get personal and showed respect to others. Tony was a great communicator and probably why he was chosen for the White House Press Secretary in 2006. I just learned he rarely used a script like many news commentators. He was quick witted and intelligent.....a former philosophy major. Tony was a gentleman and was known for his humility. He was a conservative and had good logic to back up his beliefs. Most importantly he was a Christian and because of that fact my mourning lacks that hopelessness I feel when a person who doesn't know the Lord dies. Tony is with our Lord in eternity right now and he is no doubt smiling that big smile. He has stepped into eternity and his love and energy will continue to glorify the Lord in heaven just as he did on earth.

So why am I mourning? It is because he has left a huge void in the media. There is now one less clear head and one less great communicator to convey the conservative message. Also, I know his family is in pain. They are going to miss him so much. I will be praying for them. Tony was exactly my age and maybe I am mourning because it is a reminder that my days....like yours... are also numbered. I hope to be able to demonstrate the same faith and the same hope Tony had right up until he died.

Here is a tiny bit of an article he did for Christianity Today.... almost exactly one year ago:
The entire article can be found at:
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2007/july/25.30.html

I don't know why I have cancer, and I don't much care. It is what it is—a plain and indisputable fact. Yet even while staring into a mirror darkly, great and stunning truths begin to take shape. Our maladies define a central feature of our existence: We are fallen. We are imperfect. Our bodies give out.

But despite this—because of it—God offers the possibility of salvation and grace. We don't know how the narrative of our lives will end, but we get to choose how to use the interval between now and the moment we meet our Creator face-to-face.

1 comment:

Lora said...

Debbie, a well written memorial to a noted journalist. I know BC is also mourning with you. Too few conservative journalist to lose one.