Friday, July 18, 2008

This is a picture of Deb and Mom finishing off lunch. You'll be proud to know I didn't finish my french fries.....(but almost) and we didn't eat any cold stone ice cream...and it was just down the way. What will power...hahaha.

I wonder how many of these sandwiches Chuck has has in his life time.

Another favorite local eating experience is Red's and Trudy's. It was closed last week for their vacations....as they do every summer. We stopped last week on one of our excursions and we were disappointed when they were closed. Going to pick up the new curtains we decided to stop. Yipeeeee. I love they butter the top of the toasted bun and they put salt on it.

The barbecue beef has little chunks of beef and onions and mustard. It has a unique taste... do I taste vinegar?....and I have not tasted anything quite the same any where else. Mom had the Pork version. Josh and Randi like to eat here as well, but they get hamburgers. Just seems to defeat the purpose of getting the unique taste of the barbecue. Kids! What can you do.

Behind my parents is a dike. Red's and Trudy's was affected by the 1942 flood....(see My Dad's blog) and dikes were built all along the Allegheny River to protect those in the flood plane.


Sophie looks on as her Nama and Papa eat their picnic lunch.



It is just a little diner of sorts which has been in existence since before the 42 flood. My mother said her first visit there was with my Dad's sister, Marie. Mom had never heard of it, but Red, the owner, was from Shinglehouse, my Dad's home town.

It has changed hands since then and is not owned by the same family....at least I don't think so. If I hadn't had Sophie with us I would have gone in and gotten the whole scoop.

3 comments:

Lora said...

OK-it's cool enough there to eat lunch OUTSIDE. Don't try that here right now!!!!! Shinglehouse-where in the world did that name come from?

Dogs 'n Lions said...

Hey! The burgers at Red's and Trudy's are unique, too. The thing that is unique is the way the sandwich is made, not what specific sandwich you get. This applies to both the burger and the "barbeque". We're not missing out by getting a burger. Plus, we live in "BBQ Country". We try to expand our horizons and try ethic food when we leave home.

David "Dutch" Boersma said...

In the pic that has Sophie near the bottom on the drive, she looks like a keyhole