Monday, January 21, 2008

Cold weather laziness....

I guess I can be considered a bonafide southerner because it is 46 degrees outside and I can't get warm. The deal with the cold down here is dampness. It just chills me to the bone. But I may be chilled to the bone with dry cold up north. It didn't used to do that to me, but I haven't lived there since I was 33. We were stuck in an ice storm years ago trying to drive home and we decided to go home in summer from then on. I think it is amazing we have gone home every year since we have been married. I talk to people who live far off like this and sometimes they will mention they haven't been home for several years. It is quite a trek for sure.....around 23 hours over two days. It would seem strange not to go to Pa. but there will probably come a point in the future where making that long trip driving will be substituted by flying....and then renting a car and driving two hours into the wilds of Pa.

Anyway, today I have spent my time catching up on the sleep (with my pup in front of the fire place.) I didn't miss too much sleep last night, although it was not too bad. I didn't get Sophie down until a bit after one and she was up at 5:30 AM. I hope we are able to do a bit better every night. We need to keep her awake in the evenings. I love the puppiness, but also long for the time when we settle into a routine and we don't have to watch her every move waiting for the dreaded squat. Poor little girl.....everytime she squats we scoop her up like a giant crane and plop her onto a paper. She doesn't get the paper deal. We really do better just taking her outside. Enough of my potty mouth.

I have a prayer request....tomorrow Dr. Dale has surgery to have a feeding tube and a trache tube in. Hopefully, this will help him to get the right nutrition and also enable him to be free of the breathing machine that is so uncomfortable. Having it on 24/7 must be miserable and it will be good to be able to see his whole face again. Please pray for him to have no complications. We want his quality of life to be the best it can be in the face of this evil called ALS.

3 comments:

Lora said...

I am glad you rested on your "holiday". Glad I am not potty training a puppy! We have Dale & Helen at the top of our list!

Oh Yeah, can I hitch a ride to PA?

the Jennings secede from the South said...

You have a blog! That's great!!!!! I love it!!!!

Lora said...

OK-DEBBIE-you have to blog-it's the weekend-NO EXCUSES