Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Wonder Year - 2008

January 1, 2008....wow, I think we are farther into the future than Buck Rogers was...seriously though, when I was in grade school we figured the world in 2008 would be crazy..... If you think about it A LOT has changed. A lot you can see with your eyes and a lot you can't. But lest I turn into an old coot whose favorite tv show is the Wonder Years who drives through life with my eyes in the rear view mirror, (wishing I could still leave my car keys in the ignition and the windows rolled down with my wallet on the front seat without a second thought), I will try to find what is still good in this USA and keep my eyes straight ahead. I am counting on all of you to help me do this. I don't think we do anyone a favor...especially ourselves....when we look behind us too much. We are to press on and live in the present. We can be nostalgic and we can cherish memories, but I know from personal experience the "good 'ol days" can become better and better with each visit and sometimes hindsight it very blurry....and not so accurate. We have to work with what we have and we do it one day at a time.....and with a lot of prayer.

I probably am not making a whole lot of sense. I just have a tendency to wish it were 1983 or 1968 or 1991....I need to be happy it is 2008.

I am tired and a bit depressed about having to go to school tomorrow. It is like stage fright. Jim's first retired day is tomorrow. He always took vacation when I was out of school, but he would be going back to work tomorrow if he had not retired. It is so strange to think he is going to be here all the time....sorta scary, too. But I think it might be great. He will be a lot of help. His back is out right now....it was messed up a few days ago and it was getting better, but he just went to stand up and something happened...it popped and he is moving rather slowly and wincing a lot. Hopefully, he will be better tomorrow. Our tempurpedic bed is almost like therapy. It seems to make his back better most of the time....as long as he doesn't sleep on his stomach.

Ok ...that is all I have. I spent the day putting up all the Christmas stuff. Everything is put away except for the tree. I always hate to take down the tree. I spend a lot of time getting the ornaments in just the right spot and each one is sorta a friend. I remember where almost each one came from and I quiz Jim as I get them out. He has no idea most of the time. He is saving his gray matter for more important information. Maybe I am looking back way too much.
Deb
P.S. I really do love the Wonder Years

1 comment:

Lora said...

God promised us today-Make the most of His gift! You are a dear friend and I wish you a blessed 2008. I for one am glad that you are in the "education missionfield".