Thursday, January 31, 2008

You say Dogma, but I say Dog Ma.....

A teacher who is not dogmatic is simply a teacher who is not teaching.
--G.K. Chesterton

I just love G. K. Chesterton. He is one of the greatest thinkers of the 2oth century.
I read this quote of his today and have been rolling it around in my mind trying to figure out just what he meant by that. I admit I have read it totally alone and have no idea the context. At first I thought...."that is so true", but I see teachers teaching all the time and I don't know how dogmatic they are....but they are teaching. I guess I have to figure out his definition of "teaching".

I do know the most memorable teachers I had did have a point of view. I also know students want to know what their teachers think on many subjects. They are looking to teachers for some sign of thought. They don't want us to be a shell without opinions, beliefs...they are looking for signs of life. Yet, we are to educate the children.....teaching skills, and imparting information that will be the ground work for a lifetime of learning without evidence of any beliefs or opinions. We are to educate in this very sterile enviornment. Maybe this is where education is failing.....it is the skeleton without the skin....or a body without a soul.

I might try to find where this quote came from and see what frames it.

Well, this Dog MA needs her sleep.....come on, Soph, let's crawl in....

Night night.

1 comment:

Lora said...

As hard as you try to not impart any of your personal tenets, they are going to shine through. The very way you live your life, the way you treat the kids, the way you interact with your peers, etc. etc. gives evidence of your belief system. The point in education is to teach them how to think and problem solve, not spit back facts. If they grow up and live their lives well-then you did your job! Looking up dogmatic, one of the definitions said scholastic-INTERESTING!