Saturday, February 2, 2008

A barn raising....


Jim and I both grew up in homes with attics and also with basements, so it has not been easy living in a home with neither. We admit we probably just need to "chuck" (check the dictionary it is not CHUNK) some of the stuff we are hanging onto, but in the meantime we need storage.

Jim was going to build a storage building/shed/shop to store his saws .....the table saw has been in the car port for 20 years and every time he uses it he has clean a layer of rust off the table. Amazingly it still works...(go Craftsman!) .....so that will finally have a home. We will also have a place for the Christmas decorations.......and if I use those space bags to keep out the Louisiana humidity I can even store some clothes I am planning on getting back into. (Hey no smart comments, I have done it a couple times before!) Jim and I both have a bit of that hording disease/gene. I think it comes from having relatives give us a litany of stories about the Great Depression when they didn't have......you name it.....so I am storing up just in case, I guess. (No manna comments please!)

So anywho he was planning on building this thing and BAM he puts his back out and spends a week on the sofa. He realized he probably should at least get Lowes to build the building and he can worry about the inside stuff...he may do some walls, ceiling and stuff like that....but that will be plenty and I won't have to worry about him falling off a roof while putting shingles on.

These two guys from Texas who are doing this building are a well oiled machine. They have been rained out two times, but when they are here they are really raising the roof. I guess they look to be about 30 or so. Both have good strong backs thankfully and are never still. American ingenutiy is not dead....well, not in Texas any way.

Jim just came in to tell me it is almost done....they are painting now and putting on the shingles. The big doors will have to be installed next week as they didn't come with the kit. We tried to pick a green paint that will blend in with the enviornment, but there is no hiding this monster. ( I asked them if they could paint it camo colored ....guess not, so I will have to throw mud at the building for that effect.) It is about 600 square feet....two floors! I am thinking Jim might be planning on an having an shop/apartment. haha. My uncle Lee, a Swede also, always had the shop out back where he spent a lof of his time on weekends. Like Jim, he enjoyed alone time and "piddling" with motors etc. (Jim is not a motor guy, but more a wood type guy.) It wasn't any place I frequented when we went to visit my aunt and uncle as I thought of it as where Uncle Lee went to get away from all the estrogen in the house. He usually had a dog or two close on his heel and a project in the works. Jim is much like this, problem is the hot temperatures here will not permit him to spend as much time out there, but who knows there might be a window unit in this barn's future.
Sophie, the cutest Bichon puppy in the world, (I am a bit biased) has been very curious about all these happenings. She does not miss a beat and wants to make friends with anyone she meets. She is not a watch dog that is for sure. She has been running back and forth from the fire place in the living room to the tv in the family room. She just huffs and puffs and pants and makes the cutest sounds. I can hear her voice and it sounds like a little kid's voice. So funny to me.
Jim and I are planning on going to see The Bucket List today as it was highly recommended by Lora and Bobby and a few other friends. We have not been to a movie since before Thanksgiving so we are due.
I wish I would have gotten an apt to get a hair cut, but I guess I will aim for next Sat. All of a sudden it will hit me and I feel like a sheep dog! Just pray I don't start hacking away myself..... I do that sometimes and it is never a good thing.....but it does feel better.
Breaking news.....
I want to send a congratulations out to my big sis, Marcia in Philly, who is now CEO of her company! Wow, she has always worked very hard and set high goals. Our whole family is very proud of her and her dedication to the handicapped community. This is the press release about it. She told me she thinks she'll wait to get a Bichon or two..... when she retires as she plans to be very busy for the next 7-8 years. Her position is set up so she can partially retire and still be involved with this company. Sophie would like having some nieces or nephews.

3 comments:

Lora said...

Our across the street neighbor has a "workshop" outside of the house. It has evolved to having a sofa, a complete kitchen, a recliner, etc. etc. He calls it "His Man Shack" and some other times the "Women Hating Club". HMMMM-What does that tell us about how they feel about us? We obviously rule the roost in the house as they need "Their Own Space". I hire out to clean out and throw away. For you-for free-but you can't be there when I do it and it all has to be taken off before you come back. A Little Scarey-HUH!

the Jennings secede from the South said...

She's telling the truth- she threw away some of those very size 0 clothes that I was planning on getting back into!

Deb said...

Well, I certainly don't have any 0s. I might have been a 0 in Kindergaten. I am talking about 6 and 8s. I am wearing those sizes on top, but wearing 10 pants right now...so it is possible!!! My clothes are not trendy either so I can wear them until the rapture.
:-)