Monday, February 11, 2008

Westminster doggies and thick ankled handlers....

This is my parents' dog, Bailey. He looks regal here watching the snow. This is Jake, the number one Bichon in the country. He wins best in his breed all the time.... I am glad I am not his groomer.

I have been watching the Westminster Dog Show. All those women who run those dogs around the ring have fat ankles just like me. Maybe I missed my calling. We always seem to end up watching this. I love hearing all about the different breeds. Isn't amazing how many different breeds there are and the different purposes for the dogs. They just told about a rat falling into the center of the show ring (in the 1920's) when the terriers were being shown and they are dogs bred to flush out rats and they all went nuts reacting appropriate to their nature. I really like this group. The people my parents bought their house from has a cinder block building behind their house with five little doors to the outside for the Cairn Terriers they bred. Such cute little doggies. I like the Norwich Terrier and the Westie, too. I really thought we might get one of those, but the Bishon was rated #1 for anti allergy dogs so we got one of those. Ahhhhh the Scottie dog is on. I loved those when I was a little girl. They said they are stubborn and not good listeners at all. Hmm I am part Scott. Can you tell? Our granddog, Gatsby is a terrier. I wonder if Gatsby could flush out a rat. All of this dogs are decendants of the wolf. Haha.... When ever Gatsby growls I tell Josh and Randi it is the wolf in him. We look at him and say, "Naaaah".

Sophie seems to be settling in here pretty well. She is not quite as cuddly as I would like. She likes to lay right at Jim's feet. She prefers that to being up on the sofa next to her mother. Jim said it is probably my "hotness". This statement harkens back to Josh's standard comment when I wanted him to sit on my lap...."Mom, get your hotness off me!!" Max wasn't much of a cuddler either. Gatsby is the most cuddly dog I have encountered and he probably won't do that anymore because of Sophie. Gatsby is quite put out with Jim and I ..... He doesn't realize we love him just as much as we ever did.

I keep thinking about the horrible weather all our relatives are facing right now. I pray for safe travel for everyone and no falls on slick steps and sidewalks! A fellow former glass plant retiree was out chopping ice off his side walk in Port Allegany and he got chest pains and ended up going to Erie to the hospital. He is going to be fine, but he has already had bipass surgery so it was a scare. When I think of chopping ice I remember Gramma Boller when she was in her 90s out chopping ice and when I asked her, "Gramma, what do you think you are doing!!!????" She replied, "Well, I am not flying a kite, am I?" She was fiesty and lived to be 106. I don't think she was all of five ft. Lillian was one a true lady who I never heard say a negative word about anyone.

Jim just came in raving and praising number one fuzz because she did her business FINALLY. I have had her out four times and Jim more times than that....and NOTHING. So unlike our other dog, Max who we thought worked like a playdough fun machine....stuff it in one end and it comes out the other end in short order. Maybe such efficiency will evolve.

The commentators at the dog show just made an interesting observation. They said Labs and Golden Retrievers want to be in our world, but little lap dogs just feel we are lucky to be in their world. Jim said that is pretty much the size of it.

As long as I am talking dogs I have to tell you about Baily, my mom and dad's docile yellow lab. Baily is actually half Cheaspeake bay retriever and Yellow lab. He looks like a yellow lab with longer legs and just a bit smaller snout. The lady who cuts his toe nails loves him because he never minds anything she does. A dog was in for a trim one day and she thought is was Bailey until she started cutting his nails and he bared his teeth at her and she knew it was not Bailey. Bailey sat and winced as Gatsby barked at him. We were all nervous about Gatsby being around him, but Josh knew. He said it would not be a problem. He had total faith in his buddy, Bailey's gentility. He is getting up there in years and seems he is not as spunky this year and gets a bit confused at times, but he is still a great companion for my parents. They will miss him so when he is gone.

Jake the number one Bichon in the country just got third place in the non sporting group. Last week Jake got the number two slot in the Eukenuba dog show. I was really hoping he would win tonight. He just can't beat those standard poodles. Jake looks nothing like our little Sophie. How do they groom that dog?! I sure don't have the patience for all of that work.

Well, we are into the herding group now. They are intense dogs...very OCD. I like the korgis a lot. They look like the Blue dog painted by Rodrigue.

Ok, ok I have rambled on about dogs long enough....a hello to our little black lab nephew, Murphy. He is starting to settle down... We are anxious to see if he gets along with Sophie.

2 comments:

Lora said...

Baily is my kind of dog. Labs make GREAT pets! We had a wired haired terrier when I was a kid, NUTSO DOG! We had beagles-definitely hunters. We had pugs-enough said. The very best PETS were always cross breeds. There was hope on the Morning Shows that the beagle might win BOS-an American Breed so it probably doesn't have a chance in the high brow dog world!

the Jennings secede from the South said...

How do they groom that dog? Tiny scissors? Beard trimmers??