Saturday, January 26, 2008

Saturday ramblings....

Deb with "daughter", Sophie and granddog, Gatsby. Poor Gatsby is so tense around other dogs.

It is Saturday....thank the Lord....but there is no football. I never thought I would actually miss College Game Day on Sat. morn. I like all the little story vignettes about the players and their rise over adversity. This is all the stuff Josh hates about the show. Male vs. female I suppose. I also love seeing all the college students in the back ground with their signs. The enthusiasm is contagious and regardless of the school they are visiting it is great to see those youthful, optimistic faces.

Well are you wondering how the puppy stuff is going? It is better. Sophie is sleeping longer and only getting up once. Last night she was soooooo poooped she didn't even freak when we put her in the kennel. She went dead asleep until about four! I got the best sleep. Night before I had major sleep problems because Jim's cell phone was sending us a "blurp" sound every few mins as it was running out of battery and being the light sleeper I am, it was enough to have me feeling around in the dark (musn't wake sleeping pups) trying to find it. After about 15 mins found it in Jim's jeans pocket! URGH! No cell phones allowed in the bedroom at night anymore unless they are FULLY charged.

Josh and Randi are staying with us. I love that....makes the house feel more homey with a few more warm bodies. Josh is out helping his dad rearrange the car port. Lowes is coming to build a two story building this week so all that stuff is going to be moving soon and we will have some attic space. We won't know what to do. If we could get Josh to take his baseball cards home and all the Batman stuff it would be lots of extra closet space. I think I may threaten to sell it on Ebay and tell him we are going to go on a cruise with the money we make from all his star trek cards. (Actually, I have checked this out and I think we might be able to make enough money to buy a tank or two of gas.....but what the hey!) We are counting on our Jim Beam bottle collection we acquired in Illinois when Jim had them as a customer.....although we might have to wait another 50-75 years for them to be worth much. :-) Antique Road Show here we come.

Sophie is a maniac....she zooms around this house and is a typical fun puppy. Poor Gatsby! Gatsby has never admitted to being a dog and when comfronted with another beast in his own image he is totally freaked out. I think it threatens his whole reality and he is petrified as well. Sophie can't understand why this other critter with four legs is so unwilling to interact. Obviously, something has happened to Gatsby. Josh and Randi got him when he was really too young to be away from his mama. I really think he believes he is a person. He actually seems to like Griffen, the Frazier's cat, okay. He will chase Griffen around and just seems different with the cat. (See the pic at the top.) I bet that if they were together for a week or two Gatsby would thaw out. Change takes time.













.... Notice I look as if I have aged about 20 years. This pic was taken at the end of a long day (without a good nights sleep) helping kids with their research projects. If I get tapped on my shoulder one more time I may slug someone. I describe many of my days at school to being nibbled to death by ducks. Most of the students really have no clue and therefore are pretty helpless even though I have been imparting words of wisdom dealing the very subject of research. They are pobably not a lot different than I am. I sorta have to DO rather than just HEAR.... so I understand, but I still get weary. Sometimes I apologize to them in advance if I seem short and tell them it is not them, but I am just wearing down. Sometimes the sweetest kid will ask the most insane question... but ya gotta love 'um, right!?

















We were happy to hear Dr. Dale will be coming home on Tues. I am sure he is sick of the hospital. Nobody likes it in the hosiptal.... well, nobody I know anyway. It is the hardest place in the world to get any rest. Go figure. He and Helen are facing some decisions which tear at my heart, but in the words of our plumber/philosopher, "it is what it is" so please remember them when you are saying your prayers. It doesn't get much tougher than deciding to invite the hospice nurses to help out. Jim's son, Joel, had the help of these wonderful people and they were a blessing.







I need to get moving about. Randi just left to go to her parents' and Jim and Josh are in out of the cold. Jim is making ham and cheese sandwiches for the three of us and Sophie is watching all of this activity wondering if there is anything in it for her. Pretty uneventful and sedate..... just the way Saturdays need to be at times.




Praise the Lord.


2 comments:

Lora said...

Anytime you need someone to come get rid of the "clutter", just call me. You could be mad at me for the rest of my life! Maybe Gatsby needs to go to the "Dog Whisperer".

the Jennings secede from the South said...

I love uneventful Saturdays!