Sunday, March 23, 2008

How do we share Easter with the world?

Easter was beautiful again this year! Our son, Josh said he remembers he always believed Easter had to be beautiful and sunny, until one rainy Easter and he couldn't believe it was so, but for the most part Easter is usually pretty. Today it was a bit chilly when we went to church....and it never got hot, but it was very pleasant to say the least. When we hit those high 90s we will long for temps in the high 60s. Sophie and I walked up and down Dogwood several times looking for the a perfect spot to do her thing.....she is picky and it takes a lot of walking. Who knows all this walking up and down the driveway may save our lives..haha. Sophie forces us both to walk up and down the street....it will jump my walking plan.

Yesterday a friend of my Mom's died. This lady was also a friend of Jim's Mom, yet my mother and Jim's mom didn't really travel in the same circles. One time they did intersect at a New Year's eve party where there were a lot of people. I was 11 and Jim sat down and played the piano at the party. I remember being amazed at how he didn't have any music he read from. Jim had been our paper boy when I was two until I was 5 and I had always known who he was, but never had known he was so talented. I was only 11 but I knew talent when I heard it. That would have made Jim about 23. I didn't see him again until I was 21. We went to NY state to hear a band and well...we have been together ever since.

Back to my Mom's friend....she was a constant in my life and always saw her when we went home. I feel badly about her sudden heart attack. She had just turned 83. I saw her at my Dad's 80th party and also Rudy's 90th last year about this time. I will miss her even though I rarely saw her.

I never knew her or her husband to go to church and I have thought about them many times since becoming a believer. These people are special to me and I am really feeling sad because I don't believe she was a Christian. If I am to believe my Bible.... and to me there is either believe it or don't believe it... she may not be with the Lord. Hopefully, there was a side to her I didn't know. I am feeling quite convicted about my inability to tell her about my experience with salvation. Sharing could have made a difference. I thought about telling them many times, but feared rejection from her and her husband....who was a good friend of my father's. (My dad passed away soon after that New Year's eve party....Jan. 7th in car accident.)

The sermon in church today was about the victory we experience because of the cross.... in light of her death, I was not feeling very victorious. My responsibility is to tell others about the treasure I have found and not to fear rejection because of it....but I didn't. My mother said she and my father are having similar thoughts. How will I explain this to my heavenlyFather? The comfort I find is that God is sovereign and all those that belong to Him will be His and it is not all on my shoulders...but then why do I feel so badly? It is painful and I am praying for the courage to talk to her husband when I go home this summer.

I love the Gaither song......Because HE Lives. These are the words I remember....

Because He lives we can face tomorrow
Because He lives all fear is gone!
Because I know who holds he future
Life is worth the living just because
HE LIVES!

How amazing! Jesus was not found in the tomb. The tomb was EMPTY!!!! He broke the power of sin and death. How complete and how wonderful. Father God didn't leave us without a savior because of His deep love. Yes, Adam and Eve/ human nature caused us separation, but praise the Lord, He is risen and we are reconciled. I love that Easter brings it to the forefront....it makes that fact center stage and it should be every day. And yet I didn't tell....what is my problem. Do you find a treasure....a treasure that is free to all and then not tell?

So here I sit in front of a lap top with the most wonderful news in the world... the news that allows men and women to have access to the kingdom of God in this world and also in the next. I would love all humans no matter what they have done.....seriously no matter what, to come to the knowledge of the Lord's love and to embrace Him and look to Him as their only hope.... but how do I demonstrate this? The hard truth it I really don't....and that hurts.

No comments: