Monday, March 24, 2008

Strays, ticks, and hawks, Oh MY!

In the pic of Jim and Sophie above.....notice the halo around her head...what is that about?


Each morning about four I hear the tiniest of whimpers...it is Sophie wanting to take a trip to the yard. She only cries loud enough for Moms cuz she knows Dads like their sleep. She sleeps in her kennel....when I let her sleep in her little hot pink bed she woke me up four mornings and puddled one .....so it was back in the box. I just wonder when these critters are big enough to sleep through the night! URGH!
I am thinking that one of those inside doggie bathrooms might be the answer. I don't think it is safe to go walking around at night anyway. Who knows what evil lurks (yes, I know...only The Shadow knows.....) If I could get her to understand what this thing is for I could line it with newspaper every night and if she made it through the night ....fantastic and if not, so what! It would also be wonderful if we went away for a day.
Even with all this fuss we love having her around. We enjoy her...except for not ever being able to sleep 8 hours at a time anyway. She seems to like us alright, but of course we are the only people she has ever lived with so what does she have to compare us to?? Still I think she has lucked out as we are always worried about this or that with her.....we want her to be a happy creature....we want her to be healthy and we want her to be fulfilled...haha. When Jim plays the piano she is always right there on the carpet. He likes that he always has an attentive and quiet audience. Also, she has the ability to run around and entertain herself....much like big brother Josh was able to do many moons ago. haha. She will suddenly start running around throwing her toys up into the air and catching them....sometimes missing them. One day she flipped a toy right up into the middle of Jim and my card game. (we play cards....rummy.... about one hand a day.....we started that when I was pregnant for Josh.) She seemed to be saying....hey quit playing with those dumb cards and play with me and we do a lot of the time. Jim is always rolling her tennis ball. She is quite the little retriever.
Anyway, I like this doggie bathroom idea. It would help me out in the early hours and it would also keep her from having to walk around in our dangerous yard as often. She found another mushroom in the monkey grass yesterday... she seems to like to live on the edge. Not to mention avoiding stray dogs in the area and the hawks. Dr. Dale saw a hawk carry off something rather large....a cat or a rabbit. He couldn't tell which. Now if that isn't an argument for a doggie loo I don't know what is!!!!! It would also keep the ticks and mosquitoes from attacking me!!!!!!

3 comments:

Lora said...

You two are gluttons for punishment! Starting all over with pottie training & sleepless nights & AT YOUR AGE! We will just settle for visiting our friends' dogs when the need arises for a little canine companionship,

Anonymous said...

My dog became a house dog after a car accident recently. She is loving all of the attention and has taken over the recliner! Unfortunately, she always wants to go out at 1, 2, or 3 am! Have you ever wondered how many of your neighbors are also standing in their garage at that time waiting for their dog to do their business?

NY Yankee Fan

Deb said...

Glad to know I am not the only one. I know the immediate neighbors have kitty cats and don't know any other dog owners right next to my house...but maybe a few blocks off...but think about it, there are probably thousands of us all across the country!!

Hope your dog is doing better. They become family members for sure.