Thursday, April 24, 2008

Dream Weaver....

We were talking about dreams in our small group last night and I told one of my big secrets. I have this ability/gift/curse to remember what I dreamed the night before when I put my head on my pillow. It is as if there is a dream cloud hovering right above my pillow and when I put my head in it I suddenly feel like I am right back where I was when I woke up.....cuz my dreams are clear in my mind upon waking. As the day goes on the memory of my dream becomes weaker and weaker until sometimes by afternoon I can't remember it at all....BUT when I get in bed and put my head on my pillow (gives a new meaning to "memory foam", don't ja think?!) it comes right back to me. There have been a few times when I picked back up where I left off.....although I must admit it isn't worth it because what I dream the second night just isn't on par with the first part. If an editor were reading the script he would lop off that dialog from the second night, because it just isn't nearly as good as the original. Strange stuff. I talked to a fellow worker today in the govt. institution where I am employed....and she said she has had that happen, but it was also rare for her to be able to pick up on a second installment. WOW! I figure there are probably a lot of us out there....we are not common, but we are not so rare either. I don't want to be a freak that is for sure.

But all that aside, I want to know how it works. Is it physiological, spiritual, or mental. I just don't know. It seems to be involuntary that is for sure. A lot of times I am ready to clear my head and go to sleep.....which I usually do quickly....but the memory of last night's dream....sorta stale like a coke left in a glass on the end table over night. hahhaha...well, it really seems to fit gets my attention and there I am thinking about this or that all over again. I have not always had this going on. I think it is about four years this has been happening...maybe five or six as time seems to be getting away from me.

Another thing about dreaming....when I was a third grader I had this recurring dream....it lasted until I was in fourth grade. I would wake up in the night terrified after dreaming I was running from a BIG black ball rolling towards me faster and faster. The deal is I am running as fast as my third/fourth grade legs can haul me down this narrow path and before it hits me I wake up. I would sometimes be all wet and really happy to be awake and out of that nightmare. I could usually shake it off quickly and go back to sleep...."Oh, that dumb dream again....." It was a lot like the scene from Indiana Jones. Anyway.....the last time I ever had the dream I was running as fast as possible but the big black "ball" or presence was getting closer and closer. I turned realizing it was useless and faced it. When it got right up to me it was non other than President Lyndon Baines Johnson.....isn't that hysterical. I remember I never had that dream again! I was so glad to know what it was. I told Jim I wasn't scared anymore.....guess I didn't think LBJ was gonna try to pick me up by my ears or anything bizzare. Jim said I should have remained scared to death. I understand what he means.

Someone out there might say I am making up this story for a strange blog, but I couldn't make stuff up like that if I wanted to...hahahaha. I guess I really do need to go see a dream interpreter.

3 comments:

Lora said...

LBJ-that is about facing fears and feeling out of control. It is interesting that you are in such a light state of sleep that you can direct yourself to turn and face that fear! I have always gone back to sleep & finished dreams-but never the next night. You need to walk/run about 10 miles and then you just hit the bed and pass right out!

Lora said...

DEBBIE-I looked at your picture as a girl & Josh'es as a boy-HE LOOKS LIKE YOU!!!!Never realized how much!

the Jennings secede from the South said...

How cool! I wish I could recall my dreams like that- that's a pretty nifty gift!