Monday, April 21, 2008

Second life.....


Yes, I like the new personal amplification system....aka my "belly box". Mr. Nutt said it sounds like I should be riding in the front of a little train giving tours. I love not having to raise my voice and still be heard....just makes things a bit easier. I even did a little singing for my library aides. They didn't seem to mind....but then again they did go into the backroom to
sort magazines.

Besides winning a Belly Box I learned some new things at the Technology Fair. One of the things I learned about as a web site called, Second Life. Our Key Note Speaker said he really enjoyed that site. I am not exactly clear about the whole deal, but when I visited their site I just couldn't bring myself to sign on. You have a little "Avatar"....a character that is "you"....a virtual you. You can choose your looks from a list of Avatars which are all very tall and thin and have the same measurements as a Barbie Doll. My guess is the person who does the art work for the Avatars are male. You can do virtual vacations, visit historical spots, and actually bump into other Avatars and meet people from all over the world. Meeting other people in your field is the advantage. I was reading the blogspot of a librarian who was visiting the campus of Virginia Tech....virtually and she was talking about the other person she met while stopping by the memorial for the VA Tech shootings....and talking with them! It sounds like a nice way to expand your world, but it just seems a bit freaky. I know this is a popular thing to do and it appears that a lot of adults do it as well, but it gives me the willies. I bet there are people who spend more time in their virtual life than their actual life. I know you can even go to a virtual church....but if you are making actual contact with actual people is still virtual? I mean, you can meet folks on the net. My mom has met a lot of people in her chat room....they talk in the mornings when they have their first cup of coffee and they pray for each other and send flowers when a member passes away. They are Christians and they pray for each other....but one thing they don't do is assume a new virtual body....a virtual home and virtual vacations....go on virtual walks with virtual pets....it just seems a bit bizarre. I suppose it is the only way "I" will ever live in a clutter free, dust free environment and have a 22 inch waist!



Check out Second Life and see what I am talking about.....I guess if you could just look like yourself and you could just talk to other people who looked like themselves it would be different. I wonder if the only folks who do Second Life are those who really have a bad real life and need to escape to a more glamorous and exciting life. I do like the idea of dressing myself with all the free hair styles, clothes, and shoes.....virtual paper dolls. hahaha.

1 comment:

Lora said...

I am leary of going there-I spend enough time on this computer as it is!