Saturday, April 12, 2008

Yippeeeeee! The Book Fair is over.....

This is a picture of three cases.....I had seven cases plus 6 big tables with all sorts for books and craft kits and diaries....and pencils, feathery pens, erasers, lighted worm and bug balls...haha.


Well, I just completed my 10th Book Fair. When I unpacked it last Friday, I was overwhelmed because it is just a lot to keep up with. Every year it gets bigger and I get this panicked feeling. You never know what will catch on. Strangely enough there was not one big thing this year as in years past, but a couple books that were promoted in the video that students wanted. I remember the year Harry Potter was the big seller in most fairs, but at our fair it was the book, She Said Yes, about the Christian girl at Colombine High who when asked if she was a believer in God, said YES! and was then shot and killed. Wow, we didn't see that coming! I did several reorders on that book.

It isn't really a hard job because I mostly just wait for kids to come and look, or buy and I walk around watching them browse praying none of the students who are unable to buy decide to get something anyway.....I really don't think this happens very often, but maybe I am just nieve. When you have so much merchandise it is very hard. I keep a close eye out and am counting items and trying to remember what has been purchased. I am praying when everything is counted back at the warehouse and compared to the money I collected it all will be good. It has in years past, so I need to relax and expect the best.

I was blessed with Moms who came to help out. I tried hard not to have anyone have to work longer than four hours. I remember doing two full days when Josh was at the sixth grade and I don't want them to have to do that. I usually let them do the checking out so I am able to wander around and restock when something was bought....and just keep a watch over the merchandice.

The students think I have read every book in the cases..... I don't know when I am suppose to be reading all these books...haha. I read the backs of a lot of the books to them as they are content to look at the picture on the cover and decide whether they are "good" or not. A couple times after I finished my reading a few kids would pluck that particular read off the shelf and take it to check out, but more times than not students would roll their eyes and tell me I liked BORRRINNNNGGGG stuff. hahaa. I guess my days of thinking like a 13 or 14 year old are gone.
Long story short...well sorta short?....I am BUSHED by the end of the week and I am not sure if I am coming or going. I do a lot of smiling (is that so hard?) and a lot and chatting with parents in between the visits from the classes....talking to them about what their particular child seems to like to read. One grandparent came this week and gave me quite the education about WW II. I love history and the historical fiction so I enjoyed it very much. I was really pushing the books about children who resisted what they were being taught when they were in the Hitler Youth. I wanted the students to know the bravery and the sacrifice people of their age made doing what was right. I want them to be inspired, but alas, only a few thought any of that was at all interesting and opted for books about dragons and quests...or even feathered pens and erasers that looked like sushi. (who is the ad wizard that dreamed that up!?) I have nothing against those, but I want them to read books that will show them they don't have it so tough and also that when in hard situations people their age can rise to the occasion and really make an impact. Fantasy books can do that too.

Every year I think I am going to skip the fair and sell pencils and pens or do some other fund raiser, but then the students start asking.....Ms. Anderson, when is the Book Fair! They look expectant and excited and I just can't bring myself to tell them we aren't having one this year. They are only here two years and then it is off to the high school...where there are no book fairs and the library is primarily used for research.

Let me just tell you how much help my husband Jim has been....he came yesterday about 3 PM and helped me box up merchandise and books I have on the tables and help me move chairs and tables back to where they belong..... all so I could stay open longer and increase my sales. I made my goal and I couldn't have done it without him. One day when a parent called and said they couldn't make it he came over and manned the money box for me. He got a chance to see some of the kids close up and personal and he was surprised to see how cute they really are... he has teenageraphobia.... he also saw how energetic and inquisitive many of them are and fully understands why I drag in after school many days.
So why am I awake so early....I think I got up around five.....I really don't know and I can't blame it on Sophie. The fuzz is still sound asleep!!! Maybe I will crawl back in and catch a few more zzzzzzs.

1 comment:

Lora said...

Hooray-Debbie survived another "Book Fair" although I suspect that deep down you really love it just like you love those kids-that LITERALLY suck the life out of you! SUMMER IS COMING!!!