Saturday, April 26, 2008

Genetics and family similarities





Lora made comment on my last thread about how she thought Josh and I looked alike. I have always thought we looked more alike than he and Jim, although the older he gets the more of his Dad's genetics seem to emerge. Here is a comparrision of Josh and I. We are both four years old in these pictures. We don't look exactly alike, but we look like kin sure. (I loved this melon colored dress with the rhinestone buttons. It was not frilly....wasn't allowed to have frilly, but it was classy and I just loved that dress with the little pleated bodice. I paid attention to every detail of a dress even when I was four....probably a genetic predisposition from my Aunt Marie....who my grandmother once labeled a "clothes horse".)



Received a birthday card from sister, Julie, and when I saw the envelope I immediately wondered what I had sent to my address. I have had to address SASES (Self Addressed Stamped Envelopes) for different reasons and I really thought I had gotten a SASE in the mail. The address really looked like I had written it. I opened the card and looked at her writing and it really looked a lot like mine,too. Now an expert would see the difference for sure, but it still was spooky.
I think a lot about us is determined by genetics. I think all sorts of conditions are probably a genetic condition... depression can be I know. Some traits which are genetic predispositions cause struggles and challenges womb to the tomb, but I do believe there is victory when an individual sets their mind to it...or turns to God to help them. Alcoholism is one of the instances. For one person it is no big deal to avoid this, but for someone with the genetic predisposition then it can be a real war which needs to be won. No, we are not robots, but some of the stuff we do just seems to be "just what we do" and not a choice.

First time I seriously thought about genetics is when Joel, Jim's oldest son came to live with us after we first were married. When he fell asleep on the sofa and he slept in the same position as Jim. Elizabeth, Jim's daughter, did the same. It was really strange to me.....all slept on their backs with their arms folded across their chest. I never, ever sleep like this, but it was obviously out of their control. Josh doesn't sleep like that. He sleeps more on his side or belly like I do.

Genetics must never be used for an excuse for messing up. I can't help it because that is how my Mom/Dad/Grandmother/Aunt/Uncle etc was. We are going to be influenced for sure and it is not something we need to resist unless we are going to be harmed or cause harm because of it. Poor Josh has inherited my propensity for taking naps and then getting a burst of energy around 9 PM. I think he can retrain himself, but that will always be his natural inclination.....sorry, kid.

2 comments:

Lora said...

I DEFINITELY see the resemblance! SUCH CUTE 4 year olds. The thing I have noticed with genetics is the traits I DIDN'T WANT is what I for sure inherit! What causes that? WAIT maybe I can get funding for researching this from the federal government. They have funded for more ridiculous. Got to go write a grant proposal!

the Jennings secede from the South said...

You & Josh do look like siblings!