Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Hillary wins PA...


Here's a little shout out to my gal pal, Hillary. She has taken my home state of PA . Looks like the Democratic National Convention may be the most volatile since 1968 in Chicago which I must admit I remember very well. It was scary to see the mobs in the streets. I was young, but lived in a house where politics were discussed quite regularly. Marcia's beau as a flaming liberal ala Amherst, Mass and our Dad was Republican Committee Member ....and it was the "Summer of Love"..... McGovern was the topic of many dinner table discussions. I watched with fascination as Abbey Hoffman and his cohorts ranted and raved. I knew who the "Weathermen" were and the SDS....they were passionate, if nothing else. I was only 13, but I was interested and was trying to figure out who was best suited to direct these United States. I didn't get into the conversations too much, but I did listen and try to understand. My girlfriends didn't have a clue and I never could figure out why they were not interested in what was going on....but then they didn't hear the passionate debates I heard either.

McGovern had garnered the support of the youth, who by the way didn't show up when it came to crunch time. Obama is the one who is courting the youth this season and he might want to pay attention to the lesson McGovern learned.....college students tend to have short attention spans.... not all.....but many do and not to count on them. They often times are too busy to vote or suddenly realize that in all the excitement they never even registered. Crazy, I know. I remember thinking the Republicans didn't have a prayer in '68 because of the support of so many young people, but Nixon did win by a substantial percentage....can't remember what it was, but I was so surprised. Maybe the college students of 2008 are different from those in 1968.....but somehow I doubt it.

Like I have said before, I don't really have a horse in this race, but I will be watching with interest and I most certainly will be praying to the Lord .....mostly for His mercy.

2 comments:

Lora said...

HUMMMMM! What does your Mom & Dad say about the PA rumblings? The press is almost through over-analyzing all of this and will now move on to NC & IND. I know you are loving all of this politico talk-the best is yet to come-post Convention!

Lora said...

When I backed out of this, I took another look at the pic. GOOD LORD at the bug eyed-puffed frog-swelled cheeked look on Hil's face! Maybe she is having an "Allergic Reaction"! BC says he has to give her credit-she's like the energizer bunny-justs keeps on going!