Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Ant Eaters, Blogging, & Sisters in Recovery


Good news....little sister Lori is doing well after her thyroid surgery. She was out for 6 1/2 hours for her surgery. It normally takes about 3 hours. Why? Well, she was worried about preserving her singing ability and thankfully so was her Doc, so he took a lot of extra time being very careful. When someone asked why it took so long, he said, "I had a singer on the table." I talked to her today...just briefly because she isn't suppose to talk much for a while. She sounded all scratchy cuz of the tube that was down her throat. It is not a reflection of anything being done to the nerve that effects her vocal chords. She feels pretty confident it will be alright. Now we are waiting the pathology report for the part of the thyroid that was removed....but the doc said he feels pretty confident that will be alright. So why did she have it removed at all.....well there were abnormal cells and it was to prevent it from eventually being cancerous. Will she have to take synthroid? We don't know yet.

On to the subject of blogging. Why do I blog? Well, I am not exactly sure, but it seems to keep me from going nuts. I like the act of putting thoughts on "paper". It is not to entertain anyone or to make a statement of opinion (although I do that at times)....but mostly just to "hear" myself think. It is like it validates me somehow....lets me know there is somebody home in here, which sometimes is opposite of popular opinion.

The unexpected benefit of my blog is my far off family members and friends are able to know what is happening with me....or at the very least know some of the crazy stuff that floats around inside my head. Also, folks can keep tabs on me and stear me right when I get too far out there. It always amazes me when someone I know says they have been reading my blog. You just never know who is reading.

My new mission is to get my Dad to start blogging. Now that they have a lap top it is a great idea. He wrote a newspaper column for years called, Ye Ramblins.....in Elizabethan Hillbilly vernacular. I would like for him to do something like that again. He has such a way with words. I would be interested to "hear" his public voice again. A lot of things have changed in these United States since he quit writing his column over 20 years ago and there is a lot of foder for ye ol Republican Committee Member these days.

Now here is something I haven't told anyone....well accept the Boersmas. I was talking to students at the school where I am the librarian and they told me they had nick names for the teachers. I asked them if there was one for me and these girls started to giggle. After some prodding they blurted out that some of the students call me Ant Eater. Hahaha Jr. High kids! What's not to love about these little darlings. I am wondering if it is my nose or the close set eyes...or maybe the combination. Last night this came up in conversation with David Boersma when he was trying to figure out why this baseball team from University of California at Irvin....the one playing LSU, said "Eaters" on their shirts....LSU said "Tigers" naturally. Well, come to find out they are the Ant Eaters! It jogged my memory and I remembered it was my nickname, too. I think I need to be their mascot! Maybe I should call them; a baseball team named after ME! How cool is that! Hey, Lauren, Paulie, Ross, Maura, Hannah....that is Aunt Ant Eater to you guys!

2 comments:

Just say Julie said...

So speaking of folks who read your blog.. I thought I'd say hi! It's Julie Cantrell, now Chreste. Just wanted to see how you wre these days.

Lora said...

UHHHHH DEBBIE-Ant Eaters have VERY long tongues-SURELY THAT IS NOT THE REASON??????