Thursday, June 19, 2008

"Home" finally....

I am sitting on the bed in Lori and Joe's lovely guest room....aka the grandparents' room.... and the window is open ....tweety birds are outside the window and a breeze is blowing DRY cool air in the window. It smells heavenly out, too. I forget how much I miss this every time I come north. We have about ten days when we can do this at my house, but even that is usually a bit damp.

I love the home improvements they have done since my last visit in 2003. The sun room off of the kitchen is gorgeous and today is just lovely to be out there....all the windows open (with screens in) letting the breeze blow through! Can it get any better than that? The new mud room/office is wonderful as well. It is just what they needed for sure. I remember when they refinished their basement several years ago...I thought this house was perfect then, but I am wondering what I was thinking. The sun room is the icing on the cake!! The living room /formal dining room looks great as well with a new paint job and black and white photos and a piano. I also love the new kitchen table and chairs...they are those high chairs and a high table and they are really nice. I will put a pic on the next blog post.

Anyway....we got home from the hospital around noon and I promptly got a bath and put on some loose fitting pjs! Heaven! Lori got her blankey and got on the comfy leather sofa in the family room to watch All My Children....her one soap and guilty pleasure. I used to watch it 20 years ago and it is strange, but there are many of the same folks playing the same characters....if only I could age as gracefully as Erica Kane!!!

Joe made omelletts and now we are done for our nap before the kids get home from friends' homes.

I am feeling very thankful at this moment. Thankful for a great doc who took his time AGAIN with her surgery trying to preserve her singing voice and also thankful for good reports on all the test to date. We are believing the best and trusting the Lord to keep these ugly cells from being found turning up in any other spot. We know early detection is on our side with all of this. When you hear you have the "big C" time stops and it takes a while to get your bearings, but knowing so many survivors is an encouragement and also knowing the doc is doing everything possible and all precautions are being taken is also a HUGE plus. I met her doc and the man is so intense and I now know why she loves him so....he just follows up on every detail and knows his field so well. He left late yesterday and was back early. A doctor's work is never done....especially if you are an oncologist in the USA these days.

1 comment:

Lora said...

The open windows & breeze were wonderful in Erie as well. We probably could open our windows & enjoy the same MANY Fall, winter & Early Spring days-when They are buried in snow! Glad Lori is doing well & know they are glad you are there.