Thursday, June 12, 2008

So Many Books and Too Little TIME!


Well, I have brought home a BOATLOAD of book...most YA (Young Adult) books to read over the summer. I read a small one tonight and I really enjoyed it. It is Things Hoped For a sorta sequel to Things Not Seen. Both of these books have to do with becoming invisable and the possibilities and the inconvenience of this delimma. Anyway, they are nothing heavy, but I enjoyed both of them. What book to choose for tomorrow....hmmmm...we shall see.

It is my unfortunate experience to find out most students at the Jr. High think I have read all the books in the library and there are even a few teachers who seem to believe this as well. There are about 13,000 books....hahaha . Well, I hate to say it, but I could read ALL the time and never even come close. Especially with all the books that come in sets....there is this series and that series. I wish that were not such a trend because I can't keep them all straight in my mind...."Miss Anderson which number is such in such in the such and such series?" The Series of Unfortunate Events has about 14 books....thankfully these are numbered, but keeping the numbers lined up with the titles in my mind is another thing.....and frankly they were not my favorite thing to read. They are good and I love the tongue in cheek mood, but they are just not my favorite books. Also for some of these series books it takes a whole bookshelf or more to house them. The Redwall Series books are large and they take up two shelves. Crazy. Also, most of these books are of the fantasy genre and they are just not my thing.

There are thirteen of the Bluford Series and these are realistic fiction and don't have to be read in any particular order and they are small. That is my kind of series! I prefer the real life applications. They are SOOOOO popular. With titles like, The Gun, Blood is Thicker, Someone to Love Me, and The Bully it is easy to see why. Students who NEVER read will snap these up and read them lickity split and want the next one. It is something they can relate to and the problems they find in the books are the same problems they are facing in their lives. These books do end on an up note and they challenge the reader to make good choices and not to always follow the crowd. They are also easy to read and for those students who struggle with reading these are so helpful. I was worried about these books at first because I didn't want to expose them to negativity and defeat, but once I saw how the students love them and I also read a couple and knew they were stearing them in the right direction I was on board. I am not one of these "just so they are reading" people because I know reading is just another gateway...just like the ears and just like we need to gaurd what goes into our ears...we also need to guard what we read and see in movies. Garbage in makes for garbage out.

Do I personally always do a good job of this for myself? Not always, but when it comes to being an influence in the lives of young people I do take that seriously and don't want anything which could harm them to come by way of me. I am not into hanging millstones around my neck or anyone elses for that matter!

2 comments:

Lora said...

Debbie-YOU CAN DO IT-JUST GO AHEAD & TAKE THE PLUNGE-READ ALL THOSE BOOKS!

Just say Julie said...

I have made three trips to the library since school got out. I feel like I have to cram it all in over the summer, which means I end up reading a book in a day. It drives my husband crazy!