Thursday, June 5, 2008

Guapa. the Thankful Pug



We need to average out these guys. Guapa could use some of those extra pounds Jake has packed on. There has to be a happy medium between these two! Jake was very happy to see another pug. Jake is not so friendly to white fuzzy wuzzy doggies. He is very particular to his own kind. People say that is the same way Bichons are. I don't know if this a common behavior in dogs of all breeds; I never knew about species particular preferences in pups until I got a Bichon and read about it. Birds of a feather......
A couple months ago I wrote about things I hate and things I love. Well, there is something else I hate....cruelty. Neighbor and friend, Helen called today and told me about a little dog....a Pug...who was found in the woods tied to a tree without food or water. This poor dog is very thin....eaten up with bugs and appears to have had a litter not too long ago. The man who found her took her to a vet who gave her water and food. She was washed, shaved, spayed, and given her shots. They called Helen because they know she and Dale have a pug and love pugs. Helen told me Joanna, (hers and Dale's younger daughter who lives in Jackson, MS) was going to give her a good home. Joanna and her husband, Donnie, both love dogs and I am so thrilled this little one will have a good home. Joanna teaches Spanish so this little girl's name is Guapa....beautiful. She really isn't physically beautiful yet, but I am sure with a little weight and once all her bug bites are gone she will be very beautiful. She has a very sweet personality and doesn't seem to be damaged like some dogs are who have suffered ....she wasn't afraid of people and was going around the room looking for someone to pet her....all the while wagging her little cinnimon roll like tail.
I kept looking at her and wondering if she realized how fortuante she was. She went from starving in the humid LA heat to being well fed in an climate controlled enviornment while resting her weary head on a thick comfy pillow belonging to a Pug buddie. She must have thought she died and went to pug heaven.
I remember when Jim's brother in law, Jim B. found a poodle in a similar situation....only I believe it was very, very cold. He took that puppy home and it was the sweetest pet....so thankful. I always thought Peppy realized (not like we would realize exactly) how fortuante he was and made sure he was a joy to own. Then there is Winslow, Karen and Jim's dog. (No, not everyone I know is named "Jim"!) Winslow is a scotty/wired hair terrier mix who was a recue dog and he was very skiddish for the first few weeks, but they hung in and he is delightful now. I am glad they perservered, because it did take him quite a while to "come around". He finally figured out that these people who were trying so hard were on his side.

1 comment:

Lora said...

Joanna better come QUICK or that dog will be Helen's! This must have all happened after we left. I know Helen is enjoying the diversion and you are right A VERY LUCKY DOG. Our last 3 pets were adopted strays that we just found-or PERHAPS they found us!