Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day .... a bit late.

The new kids on the block....summer of 1969. (Wasn't I a cutie? I needed some bangs!!...check out Lori the ham and the white yarn in Julie's hair! We were trendy for sure.)



Daddy and Debbie 1955.

Happy Father's Day to all the those uncommon fathers who do the right thing and put their families first and live out their faith as a witness to those who are following behind them. We know that it is difficult to be that position of leader and to be a model of our heavenly father. I am glad I am not a man.

I have been blessed to have several uncommon fathers in my life.
My own father, Chuck Wells, was not perfect, but he was man who worked very hard for his family, wanted the best for us, was a seeker of truth, and was a man of his word. He read all the time and made me want to find out what was so interesting in books. He also challenged me to watch TV that would help me. He made me watch PBS when I was little. I didn't like it at first, but finally decided it was much more interesting than anything on the big three networks. He was snatched from my life when I was 11 and I didn't know him very well, but I have had people tell me how they respected him and what a talented mason he was. I remember he was the one they called to do brick walls with a curve. He was the best at what he did. I also thought he had hair just like Elvis when I was about four and five....yes! I can remember that far back!!

The father who had the most impact on me ....who had been my father for almost 40 years....is my Dad, Chuck Boller. He married a widow with three young daughters and he has always treated us as his own daughters and acted lovingly toward all three of us. When I was not always nice, he loved me anyway. Going through the teenage years with an angry young woman was not fun I know and he could have decided I was not worth the time, but he chose to show me love and respect in spite of my behavior. He has been proof to me of God's unconditional love. God gave me a new, wonderful father when I desperately needed someone to show me how God loves us and also how people are suppose to love each other. He was always open about his emotions and truthful. This ability to have heart to heart talks and to be transparent will never be forgotten.

Rudy Anderson, my father-in-law, is another wonderful example of a father. He worked hard during his working years to provide for his wife and children and was a faithful member of his Lutheran church. Rudy could always be counted on when they needed repairs, a new building, or just some good yard work. His sacrifices are there for generations coming behind to see. Rudy is known for his commitment to excellence in his work and his friendliness and good humor. He has always been so kind and welcoming me to us those two weeks each summer for nearly 30 summers! I am thankful for his example of his faith in God and also for the example of his work ethic to his children and grands, great grands, and GREAT great grands!! I know many of Jim's gifts and talents are due to his Dad's faithfulness and leadership and I am thankful for his influence.

When I moved to Louisiana I met Dr. Dale Boersma. Dr. Dale is not my Dad or any relation for that matter, but he has treated me with love and respect and because he the same age as my Mom I guess I have thought of him in a fatherly way at times. He was my doctor and always felt like he cared well for me and for my family. I will never forget he and wife, Helen, coming to hear me tell about my trip to Cuba. They were there for support and I appreciated the fatherly way Dale complimented me on my feeble attempt to communicate what I had learned on that trip. I have watched Dale for twenty years and I am thankful for his Godly example in my life...his wit, and his diligent study of God's Holy Scriptures. It is heart breaking for me to see such a wonderful man suffering with ALS, but as with the rest of his life he is demonstrating grace and dignity.

3 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Sweet post, Mrs. Debbie.

Lora said...

What a sweet, sweet post. They are blessed to have you in their lives also. LOVE THE PICTURE OF JIM at the top & DEBBIE-YOU LOOK LIKE YOUR MOM! The picture of you and your sisters with her was like looking at you when I first met you! WOW!

Kelley said...

Debbie, I was just thinking the other day about your dad. I have this really vague memory of him at our house. I couldn't have been more than 2 1/2 I bet. It seems to me like he was very quiet. I can remember you guys coming on the train to stay for the weekend after you lost your dad. My dad and I came to pick you up. And of course there was the weekend of the chocolate dog kisses. We won't go into that!