Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Ooooo I thought you was a ghostie!


Susan, Joe and Lori's good friend and fellow band member, picked me up promptly at 5:10 AM to get to the airport by 6:00 AM. She was bright eyed and bushy tailed and I was sort of groggy. I woke up about 3:00 AM and couldn't go back to sleep....guess I was afraid I was going to sleep through the alarm. THANK YOU, SUSAN! Joe thanks you as well!!!

Susan works for Scholastic, one of my favorite companies, (they do my book fair), in New York. It great to talk to her about the wonderful products they offer. We have a Read 180 lab at the Jr. High and that is a Scholastic product that is fantastic for raising the reading level of our 7th graders. My good friends, Jeananne and Vivian, were the grant writers for this program which is spreading throughout our Parish schools....they've gone above and beyond.

Anyway, Susan and I chatted all the way to the airport.....she is a former Sweet Adaline's singer and has quite a vocal range and will be a great addition to Peter's Rock. She has been a member of St. Peter's Episcopal chuch longer than anyone who is a member there now. She was baptised in that church and she said she has been in that same church her entire life.

When I got to Newark Airport the lines were LONG. One guy who flies from there all the time said he had never seen the lines that long....and there were three lines. I thought I had all kinds of time and got some coffee, but then suddenly the line was moving fast and I ended up having to throw out half of my coffee. Jim said he has done that many a time.

After that everything went like clockwork. The gate change was easy....had to change terminals, but that was no biggie....they make it so easy. If I would have had less than an hour it could have been a bit hairy, but thankfully there was plenty of time.

Once in the magical flying machine....(can you believe something that heavy flies through the air?!!!!) I felt like I was in a sardine in a can.....or a germ tube, as sister Lori calls planes.....and for some reason it just seemed to take forever to get back to Louisiana. I kept looking at my watch and that was probably why it went to so slowly.....I tried to sleep, but I kept getting seats in the back and they don't recline. I guess if you are using sky miles they will make you suffer....but we came in 15 minutes early so I don't really have reason to complain....and the smoothest landing ever when we came into Monroe. Smooth like budder (butter).... some NJ/NY lingo.

Jim and I stopped at Ross Dress for Less....no that wasn't in his agenda but he did find some nice dress pants and I found a couple colored tees and a jacket and then we split a reuben at McAllisters. We didn't want to stay too long as we were anxious to see what Sophie was going to do when her long lost Mama showed up.

We drove into the car port and I ducked down and hid. Jim took her into the back yard and I took my stuff into the house. They were walking back to the house and I started towards them and she FROZE and squinted....I wonder if she is hard of seeing.....she was frozen for about five seconds and then she freaked. She almost looked scared. I wonder if she had convinced herself I had departed this life and she was gonna have one owner from now on and that was just fine with her and when she saw me she literally felt as if she had seen a ghost. I was really tired and sorta felt like a ghost, too.

We came in the house and she jumped all over my head and licked my face and ran around like a maniac....blitzing like mad. I was blitzing too only on the inside....it wasn't wholly obvious as I was spralled on the floor as she ran across my stomach. Heck there isn't room for both of us to blitz.....I am always afraid she is going to run into table leg and mess up her neck like Duke did. (Duke was a cute, but tenatious little pug who was crippled.) Needless to say I was sooooo tired, but alas every time I started to doze off (I had moved to my bed by this time) Sophie gave me another kiss on my cheek. Mom was home and all was well. :-) Lil' Sis, Lori, says that dogs make for a kinder and gentler Lori. I think they just do that to everyone.

Jim just asked me if dogs have a problem with cholesterol. Hahaha....now that is one kind and gentle guy.

Here is shout out to "The Church Chicks"....thanks so much for everything!!!! You all are/were such a blessing. Lori is so blessed to have you all.

4 comments:

Lora said...

WELCOME HOME TO GOD'S COUNTRY!

Deb said...

http://www.pottercountypa.org/

When I was a kid the neighboring county (Potter County) was always referred to as "God's Country". It was on the sign as you entered the county and in diff. spots. When I was small I thought that somehow God really hung out in Potter County....and wondered what McKean Co. had done to be spurned by the Lord....

the Jennings secede from the South said...

I know sweet Sophie is glad to have you home! And Mr. Jim, too!

Kelley said...

Debbie, I remember there was some country song about Potter County...Pennsylvania... USA. Don't feel bad. God didn't hang out in Cameron County either I guess!